• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Bubba has been working on my choke

omegac1

Reaction score
I have a new to me 1970 Barracuda with a 440 6 pack. I am fixing the several things wrong with it and one of them is the choke. There is no "fast idle" screw and my setup does not match other pictures that I have seen. I think Bubba has done some work on this. Can anyone tell me what its supposed to look like?

Choke close 1.jpg

Choke close 2.jpg

Choke close 3.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
looks right to me , youinsert a small srewdriver into the slot & bend the arm to ride inside the cam to get fast idle , obviously someone bent the tab so it will not idle higher

omegac1

Reaction score
Is that they way your 6 pack setup works? There is no "fast idle" screw?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have set / tuned approx 19-22 six packs all of them have the little tab to bend for fast idle , I too have a 6 pack system on my car but it has the race carbs , the system I beleive is the same for choke setup on the center carb , I usually block the heat cross over so the choke will come off slowly [not good] so I set the choke so it only comes on about 1/2 way with very light pressure from the thermostat so it doesn't foul up the spark plugs

74 challenger

Reaction score
Your pic looks like the same as my old 6 pack.I dont believe there was a fast idle because the outboards open once you get to a certain rpm, or that was how my 6 pack set up works. At idle only center carb is working.

omegac1

Reaction score
After playing with it a bit, if you bend the tab down it effects when the fast idle comes on/off and if you bend it side to side you can adjust the rpm.

Works good now...thanx forum!

Cuda 2.jpg

100_1011jpeg.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
if it has the factory choke thermostat you can loosen the nut inside & dial the position of the thermo so it will not come on as much / vary the amount the choke closes & the speed that it will open , none of the aftermarket ones will do this although I have successfully rotated the shaft even though it is just peened in place

omegac1

Reaction score
THANX..I now have the Rallie wheels and white letter tires on her.

Back