• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Building trains.

ramenth

Reaction score
For a living.

Decided to turn a new chapter in my life and went to work building trains.

Been an interesting two weeks so far. The company has two contracts to this point and a third one ready to go into production in the next year or so. We have the Amtrak and Houston lines going now. They put me on the Houston contract, building cars for the Houston Metro Rail.

The first prototype was just done.

I'm working on the second prototype, trying to get them assembled and help figure out what's wrong with things as it goes together to get things fixed to go into production within the next month. So far, I'm enjoying the hell out of myself. Not much different than the automotive world, but different enough to be a challenge.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Glad everythings is going good and you enjoy it. Not many people can say they like their job.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
That sounds like a great position and a lot of fun. There's nothing I like better then problem solving.

ramenth

Reaction score
The nice thing is that they don't just throw us to the wolves. I've probably got another week, maybe two, working with my trainer, who's been on the project since the beginning.

We've been throwing ideas back and forth about how to approach installation of some pieces, so when the cars go into production we can hit the deadline (one train a week). As one of the guys on the prototypes, it'll be up to me to teach the production line guys when they come in. So I'm absorbing everything and wrapping my head around ideas of how I'll approach installing these parts.

The idea is when the cars go into production all the parts modifications will have been taken care of.

Right now, the customer and the engineering/management staff is ironing out changes that need to be made while still taking into account what federal regulations are. CAF is a Spanish owned company and the Spaniards on site are still getting it straight in their heads the European and American regs are different. They keep wanting to build to European standards, which means mods in the parts they use their for American regs. The bodies of the cars are being shipped in from Spain and the rest are American made pieces. As a result, nothing wants to fit. So, we're on the line, letting the production manager know what needs to be changed in the parts to have them fit by the time the cars go into production.

Amtrak is 100% American. Most of the parts for the Amtrak cars is being built on site, from the frame rails to the car bodies. Everything we're not building is being built by American vendors.

Right now, between both lines, these cars will be manufactured, even at the deadline of one car a week, for about the next five years. The company has also just won the Cincinnati contract and putting in a new building next spring just to handle Cincinnati. From prototype to the end of production, Cincinnati should be about another five years.

Here's hoping we land the Long Island project. If we win that (and we're only one of two companies in the final bidding process) Long Island will be about 20-25 years of work. It's that big. Close to 900 cars.

It's something this area really needs. Right now the company is at about 500 employees. When Amtrak and Houston gear up for production before the end of the year it'll mean another 500 people put to work. Once Cincinnati starts there will be about 500 put to work.

ramenth

Reaction score
It's been really, it's been fun, but it ain't been real fun.

My career as a rail car builder has just come to an end. While the work is a blast and co-workers all awesome, I walk into the shop each day knowing that nothing is going to get done because management hasn't got a clue.

Let me backtrack a bit.

We're hired through a temp company (of course, it's the thing to do with large companies these days) and after our "probation period" of 120 days the company decides if they want to keep us.

My roll date was 12/20. We laid off that afternoon for a two week plant shut down and the possibility of me rolling early was killed. So, it means my roll over date was held to 150 days of probation. No big deal, except for the fact that I'd worked every freakin' hour of overtime that I was asked, including coming in at 10 o'clock on a Friday night and working 'til 3:30 on a Saturday morning to take care of a few things on unit one while it was in test.

Then they expected me to work over the holiday break while showing me nothing for it except my paycheck. For the on the books employees working meant holiday pay, plus time and a half overtime pay. For me it meant straight time. Not worth the drive for only 18 hours each of those two weeks. It wasn't held against me for my roll over, but the new management got pissed.

Now, we're a month behind on unit three and the push come in to get it done. Fine, we were under the gun with the first two units, no big deal. Unit three is supposed to be in highpot test by the end of the day today. Yet, for the last two weeks parts have been trickling out and a lot of the parts were wrong, rejected by the customer when they were on unit one. No purge in the warehouse.

The new manager punted a lot of issues down the road, issues we brought to his attention before the break, issues which could have been taken care of during the break. Now, it's two weeks after the break and he's getting his nuts pinched in a vice and taking it out on the line workers.

I was asked to take lead on B-car. Which meant the entire B-car line was my responsibility to assemble. Fine. I was the one who was already on B-line and the senior who was there to train the new guys, keep track of parts, hunt down blueprints, get explanations for what we were doing if something changed, I might as well have it as a negotiation tool for when I rolled to sit down with HR and put my price on the table.

But then I was asked if I'd be willing to go second shift. I'd been wanting to go to second shift since I started. Then I found out that management was hiring on new guys and I was stuck with two employees who were going to be new to interiors. So, in the process of having to get my work done, I'd have to essentially babysit two guys and train all the new ones. When I haven't been rolled yet and saw no hourly rate increase.

But the straw that broke the camel's back came on Wednesday night. The new manager has, for all intents and purposes, been ignoring B-line. He's always over on the A-line mezzanine and spends a couple of hours a day on the C-car mezzanine just shooting the ****. We have mods which need to be done for the heaters on the cars. A-car was able to install their heaters while I was told not to put mine in because there was a snafu. Now, mind you, my heaters were already on the floor and ready to install, yet when I asked why I couldn't put them in, he just walked away, with no explanation. I got to work Wednesday afternoon and was told to put them in. The new boss said he never said I couldn't put them in, even though my trainee was standing right there and heard the whole conversation. So, he threw me under the bus to cover his own ass.

So, my plan on Wednesday night was to get the heaters and the sanders in. I spent most of the night trying to hunt down parts. Parts which the new boss new I needed and didn't get me. I had no grounds, no conduit connectors, no grounding hardware. These were installed in A-car and were a bulk house order, meaning they didn't come on the skid with the heaters. His slow of mind mental capacity didn't double up the order needed for the entire train, he just ordered them for A-car. (It's common sense, that if you lack them for one car, then you're going to lack them for both cars and if you need to order, then you order twice the amount to cover the entire train.)

Again, I'm getting thrown under the bus simply because this idiot has his nuts in a vice for punting a lot of this down the road.

It's been typical of this place. They hire people who have no general clue and then get their panties in a wad in things get delayed. Of course, a lot of this is coming on the heels of this article.

http://www.masstransitmag.com/news/11290472/metro-seeking-answers-to-railcar-delivery-delays

Last edited:

ramenth

Reaction score
Now that you got that off your chest, How do you really feel?

Leo, my nights and days were usually a profanity laced tirade as I refrained from throwing **** across the shop and pitching people off the mezzanine. My little rant earlier was a scaled down PG-13 version of it.

ramenth

Reaction score
Sorry to here that Robert. Sure does suck. Seems like thats just the the way things are now a days.

Russ, I've been in management. A real leader passes off the credit and takes the blame. A real manager puts his people in position to succeed, he doesn't feed them to the higher ups to cover his ass.

This new boss was so concerned with standing in front of the building counting heads and checking his watch as we came back from lunch that he's failing to be a real manager.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
It sure is a way of the world today. Got to have it done yesterday with less help. I'm counting my days till retirement and not looking back. Things will never be the same, I used to enjoy going to work. I've never been selfemployed but I guess you might want to try that again. All jobs have there drawbacks, thats why they call them jobs. Best wishes going forward. Rick

Ray

Reaction score
Some in management view people they supervise that have talents and superior abilities as a threat to them. So they sabotage their efforts and use them as a scapegoat to cover their flaws, Instead of working with them. Sorry I've seen it to often. It will catch up with them in the end but it doesn't help you much.

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
Sorry to hear.
Yes, above notes about managing are spot on and unfortunately you were the victim of it.
I understand completely, my recent situation very much paralleled your non PG13 version. They were transitioning from hired to temps without the proper structure and controls (IE training) to prevent the daily production failure issues.
Never a matter of if the job would end but when.

Best wishes for your next venture...

Last edited:

ramenth

Reaction score
Some in management view people they supervise that have talents and superior abilities as a threat to them. So they sabotage their efforts and use them as a scapegoat to cover their flaws, Instead of working with them. Sorry I've seen it to often. It will catch up with them in the end but it doesn't help you much.

You got that right. The new manager talked a good game, but that's all it was: talk.

He used to manage a couple of area body shops and an area dealership as a service writer. I've still got the old connections to a lot of shops and was able to get a hold of a couple of guys he used to ... ahem... manage. Not one of them had a good word for him about his professionalism. All agreed that he spent most of his time talking about how good he is, but most determined that every time he opened his mouth nothing but bs rolled out. The old saying of "if you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit."

Not exactly the kind of guy you want leading a project on a $900M project.

Back