• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Car options

ogre

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was a place to send your vin to and have them return a full build sheet? Reason being, I have the codes from my Challenger but they dont specify what rear axle was used. A31 is for the super trac pac 3.91 gears but what about the 3.23 and 3.55 posi rears? My car is/was a 383 4v RT with AT and it would be cool to have all the features listed for it , or maybe it does and I am just missing it.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Axle isn’t on the fender tag though.
I agree. I was referring to getting a build sheet info. One might be able to discern from info on tag what packages it was built with. If all the origanal part are still on it. Might still be faded number stamps on parts.Ratio can be figured out by jacking up and counting turns.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
One time and only one time I found a paper a little bigger than a fender tag,with fender tag info in reverse (I think) along with a dash manufacturing inspection. You never know what you can find until you look.
Tucked in the dash.
20230312_101930.jpg

Last edited:

ogre

Reaction score
Lots of good ideas as always, but my car had nothing but the fender tag and vin which I decoded already. Pumpkin was gone, as was all the interior so I know from the fender tag but no more. There is nothing forward of the firewall. I was trying to figure out if it even had a posi because a 383 RT doesn't guarantee it and I don't have that A31 code for the 3.91 posi. Thought the build sheet would have all of it if you could get a copy for your car based on the VIN. I just dont know if any of that data is preserved anywhere.

Just as another point of discussion, why is it frowned on to take the identity of a demolished high value car and transplant it into a perfect but less impressive build as long as all the parts are the same? If I had the correct wiper motor with the right numbers but it didn't work and I took it to a shop and they replaced the guts with all new parts from wherever and put the old shell back on, everyone would call it restored part and be ok with it. Same thing for the whole car part by part isn't it?? My own take is you have cars that were never touched other than wash and wax, and then all others regardless of how much is replaced as fixed/restored.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
The only way you can document your axle ratio (most likely a factory 3.23) and a Sure-Grip differential is to find the original Broadcast Sheet.
Try checking your VIN for a found Broadcast Sheet on the Hamtramck-Historical website.

As for taking the identity of a high-value car and transplanting it into another, better body...
That is a rebody and is typically associated with a fraudulent sale at some point. Even if the person that does it is honest about it, one of the future owners may somehow fail to disclose that information and an unknowing buyer ends up with less than they bargained for.

Back