• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Car sit height

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows the height the car should sit? Measuring from the ground to the center of the wheel well? I know the previous owner adjusted my torsion bars pretty high up and would like to lower them back down to stock height.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
The factory service manual has those specs and is an invaluable piece reference material. Everyone should have one for there car. You can get hard copies or digital versions these days. Ebay is a good place to start.

Racer57

Reaction score
Barracuda - Standard and Heavy Duty. In the manual for Torsion bar installation when done with install it says to lower car to ground and adjust suspension. In the specs it says the height should be 1 3/16" +/- 1/8". So I assume you start with no load and measure. Then raise it an additional 1 3/16". I'm sure theres people here that have a lot better idea and have done it. I have not. But I did stay at an Holiday Express !! :D

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
I was trying to see if there was an easy measurement from the ground to the finder wheel well. So I can see how off it is.

Racer57

Reaction score
IMG_5363.jpgSorry I misunderstood what you wanted. My car sits 25 1/2" with 235 60R/15in tires/wheels. Measured at the lip directly above the wheels center cap.

IMG_5363.jpg

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Precisely why a factory service manual is a must for any classic Mopar. That and so many other details you won't find anywhere else.

BoomerSoonerVA

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I do have the service manual but I just wanted to know about how far off it was before I take it apart.

Racer57

Reaction score
Precisely why a factory service manual is a must for any classic Mopar. That and so many other details you won't find anywhere else.

Just out of curiosity..... when someone asks a question that you know the answer too or at least have access to the answer then why not give it to them instead of telling them what they need to buy ? Of course I'm assuming you own the manual after this statements and the previous one.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Yes, I have the manual and generally don't like to be an enabler. Not only that but both times I've posted in this thread prior to this post I wasn't in my shop which is 10 miles from my residence and is where the manual is. If I had info that wasn't available to everyone else, I'd be more than happy to share it. I'd even go out of my way to do so.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
It would have been different if he was looking to get out of a jamb of some sort and it was even remotely critical, then of course I'd help.
I also look at things from a small buisnessman's viewpoint. If I were the guy putting out these FSMs on Disc or making them available for download I'd be pissed when I saw the info being shared freely on the net. Kind of taking food off the table of an American guy trying to do buisness in this country, it's hard enough.

Racer57

Reaction score
It would have been different if he was looking to get out of a jamb of some sort and it was even remotely critical, then of course I'd help.
I also look at things from a small buisnessman's viewpoint. If I were the guy putting out these FSMs on Disc or making them available for download I'd be pissed when I saw the info being shared freely on the net. Kind of taking food off the table of an American guy trying to do buisness in this country, it's hard enough.

Apparently your rules don't apply to yourself. Its been my mistake in thinking this forum was for helping out those with a common interest. I'll go elsewhere. .

Hey all, I love mopars and the b-body site and I am sure I will love this site too. I am restoring a `68 Road runner now but I just bought a `70 Challenger off Craigslist yesterday, a deal I couldn't pass up. Trying to decide if I want to part it out, sell it as a project or stash it away as a future project for myself. I have a question for all you die hard e-body folks for starters. It is a 340 car, JH23, so I am aware that it is not an R/T, however there is an R/T badge on the grill and this car has been sitting a long time. I believe it was parked after a fender bender and it is still wearing a set of polyglass tires and the odometer reads just under 60,000 miles. The grill is kind of messed up from the accident so it's not like it's been replaced with an R/T unit unless something happened before that, which I know is entirely possible. Nicely optioned car ordered with the bumblebee stripe. Would this car have come from the factory with R/T badging even though it's not? or did the dealer install this or was it just whoever bought it?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Matt

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
That's info that's not in any service manual, the questions I had back then could only be answered by others with experience in the A66 cars.

Back