• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Distributor Disassembly

72barracuda

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this issue? I was disassembling distrubutor and do not see a screw or spring clip to allow removal of the top of the shaft. Maybe spring tabs are broken off or maybe there is a different way to remove? I think this was from a 74 Cuda w/electronic ignition.

20210626_112346_resized.jpg

Steve340

Reaction score
The top of the shaft looks OK???
Mine has a little round spring wire clip that fitted in a groove in were your pic shows.
If the clip is gone you should be able to remove the part - it may be seized on meaning the advance would not have worked.
It is not pressed those little slots control how much mechanical advance you will have - in relation to the rotating distributor shaft which is in effect connected to the camshaft.

72barracuda

Reaction score
Everything looks OK and the weights themselves move. My photo is looking down the shaft where the rotor rests. I am trying to remove the top of the shaft as shown below on left to install timing limiter. I am not seeing a screw or wire clip as notes in red below. Distributor pn is 2875128 stamped into the housing. Researching that part number makes me wonder if this was an electronic ignition version to start with but that is how it's being used. At this point I would be happy to start over with a different mopar distributor. Should probably be a 3656278 or 3755486.

1624831245342.png

Steve340

Reaction score
An electronic distributor has a slot milled in the shaft that has a roll pin to locate/phase the relucter piece.

72barracuda

Reaction score
An electronic distributor has a slot milled in the shaft that has a roll pin to locate/phase the relucter piece.
Yes it has this slot and has been working. I am just having trouble removing the top of the shaft. I dont see a clip or screw.

Steve340

Reaction score
It may just have a little burr - it should come off with the clip removed. Maybe get in there with some fine sand paper.
I think yours should have the clip - it has probably been left off during some previous work or lost by previous owner.

Last edited:

Steve340

Reaction score
You could try some WD40 - lube it up a bit.
When you reassemble polish with fine sandpaper and use a light grease and a drop or two of oil every year or so to keep that advance system free moving.
When I reassemble a distributor I loosely put it together without the springs or lube and make sure it moves very freely.
Lube the weight pivots also.

Cuda416

Reaction score
Did you take the little wire clip out that keeps that top down? The infamous "jesus clip" ?

Cuda416

Reaction score
No I don't even see it. It is either not there or it is broken off and not visible.

Oof, if it spins at all and isn't locked up, I'm guessing it's in there and just not visible. Is there any up and down movement at all?

Back