• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Distributor questions

71 challenger

Reaction score
Hey all, I have another question maybe someone could help me with . I replace the OE heads with Edelbrock aluminum performer heads and want to replace the distributor with a ready to run unit so I can get rid of the ballast resistor and voltage regulator on the firewall (I have already smoothed the firewall and painted the engine bay). I originally bought a pertronix plug and play but it hit the cylinder head so I returned it. I called MDS but the tech guy told me their ready to run unit was 4 3/4" which is even wider than the pertronix. I need to get a distributor which is approximatly 4" in diameter. Any ideas ? Like I said I would prefer a ready to run so I can lose the extra wiring and stuff on the firewall , although I suppose I could relocate these items to the inside so atleast they would be hidden. Thanks in advance for any help. small.jpg

small.jpg

71 challenger

Reaction score
From the centerline of the distributor hole to the cylinder head is about 2" so I would need a distributor about 4" diameter. The head wall is only 200 thousandths thick (approximatly 3/16") so I really don't want to grind into it.The OE distributor does clear but then I'm back to the start.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
well the VR controls the alt output so changing the ign will not eliminate it , you would need an internally regulated Alt .
I have hidden the Mopar ECU under battery trays etc , i do not know of any aftermarket dist that is a small

71 challenger

Reaction score
Yes you are right I am eliminating them with a one wire alternator. I think I am losing my mind.the alternator won't eliminate the ballast resistor though will it? Also my battery is in the trunk. For asthetics not for racing.

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
You will probably not even notice the extra wire. Remember you will have plug wires, oil sensor wire, tach wire, water temp wire, alternator wire, etc...If you want the ultimate distributor, go with a magneto, NO wires! Hide every thing and hope you don't have to track down an electrical problem later.You can't look at your engine when you drive down the street. Just unplug the engine harness when you want to show off your engine compartment.

Rob C

Reaction score
I myself would use the MP unit, Accel or Mallory. There small diameter, like stock but are not a ready to run self contained distributor. I myself would run a MSD placed under the battery box.

I understand what your trying to do here, but, IDK if it is what your looking for.

Any extra wires other than the min. your looking to use can be wrapped up and slide through convoluting tube for a minimal appearance.

Back