• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Ebody production numbers

sunger

Reaction score
We can see how many of a particular model with drive trains were produced, but are there any figures stating how many are left? I expect a lot of the larger engine cars were too costly to repair vs retail price once repaired. The rise in gas prices and insurance probably killed as many "cudas and challengers as a telephone pole did.

quapman

Reaction score
There are several registries compiled by a few private individuals, but the only ones I know of that are public are the 71 Charger & Super Bee registries. It's impossible to have even a ballpark KTE list.

sdweatherman

Reaction score
Been a little while since I have been on this site. I believe I have good numbers for 1970 Cudas, and 1970-1 Challengers - every color and option. I will check back with some numbers for you guys by late this afternoon.
Scott.

sunger

Reaction score
As fans of the ebodies, people enjoy knowing the specifications of the line and their favorite years. As an owner of a 70 cuda V code, I want to know how many are left. One of the first things a lot of us did when we returned from Vietnam was buy a car, and frequently we bought cars that were more powerful than our driving skills could handle. I believe that the gas crunch of the early 70's made collision repair costs too expensive considering the very low resale price for the gas guzzlers. Many of these cars were simply totaled and people moved on. The DMV could easily run a tally on registration numbers, but I don't have any idea how to get the figures, or if they would do so. It would be very interesting to find out.

340challconvert

Reaction score
It would probably be difficult to get those numbers from DMV registrations. It would have to be done state by state and access to any data varies by individual state laws. Privacy laws have been put into place in some states and you are lucky if they run the records on even just your own car. I wish they would or could, but not likely. Many existing cars or cars that are being restored may also not be registered currently or for a long time and therefore not accounted for in DMV records.
The best bet I think are the individual registries for "how many are left" as an estimate.
Just my opinion!

Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
Hey sunger; would love to see some pics of that V code Cuda you have if you haven't done so already! A beautiful and rare car.
Dino2 (1).gif

sdweatherman

Reaction score
Ok - these numbers are from Options and Accessories reports - which are about as good as it gets - barring free reign in the dungeons of Chrysler.

Paharamia's color chart for 1970 Challengers looks to be good. Took a quick glance and the numbers match what I have on the O&A report.

DetMatt1 - I have color numbers available for 1971 Challengers.

For the original poster - John Hynds - 383/Auto cars number about 2,540. FE5 was a very popular color for this model - about 2,239 produced. Looks like the rarest piece of your car is the Red & White interior. Only about 33 'Cudas were equipped with that interior in 1970 - neato!

Scott.

Last edited:

John Hynds

Reaction score
Awesome :) DO you have a number for 70 'Cudas with the red and white interior? I know there are fewer 'Cuda than Challengers just curious.

Ok - these numbers are from Options and Accessories reports - which are about as good as it gets - barring free reign in the dungeons of Chrysler.

Paharamia's color chart for 1970 Challengers looks to be good. Took a quick glance and the numbers match what I have on the O&A report.

DetMatt1 - I have color numbers available for 1971 Challengers.

For the original poster - John Hynds - 383/Auto cars number about 2,540. FE5 was a very popular color for this model - about 2,239 produced. Looks like the rarest piece of your car is the Red & White interior. Only about 33 R/Ts were equipped with that interior in 1970 - neato!

Scott.

sdweatherman

Reaction score
Awesome :) DO you have a number for 70 'Cudas with the red and white interior? I know there are fewer 'Cuda than Challengers just curious.
Sorry John - I did mean 33 'Cudas with the Red and White interior. I just discovered that you could get the Red and White in H4, H6, and P6 varieties - I will have to double check that number to see if it differentiates between the 3 different seat styles.
Scott.

Last edited:
Back