• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Emergency brake assembly help

Ronbo73

Reaction score
Hello Again,
I was cleaning/de-rusting my emergency brake assembly and when I removed it from the solution I saw a small broken spring in the pan. Without this spring, when you depress the pedal, the lever that fits into the teeth to hold the pedal in position does not stay in position.
Looking at the assembly I can't see where this spring was or what it connects to. If anyone has pictures or expanded view drawings or any information would be helpful.
Does anyone know where to get a new spring?

before.jpgafter.jpglever.jpgspring.jpg

Ronbo73

Reaction score
Thank you. That does look like it for sure. Now I need to find where it goes and how it attaches.....

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
I went out to the garage and took a look at the three e-brake mechanisms I have, only one still had the spring and of course it’s the one that’s in the worst shape. Hopefully these pics will help. Looks like I’ll be ordering a few of those kits.
IMG_4510.jpeg

IMG_4509.jpeg

Ronbo73

Reaction score
@EV2RTSE Thank you for the pictures. I'm not sure if I would have seen that location. The fun part is going to be installing the tiny spring in that spot...

Ronbo73

Reaction score
Just received the springs yesterday and installed today. Little tricky because of the tight space but got it done. I used a piece of mechanics wire to hold the spring and dropped it into place. Longer side of the spring (picture 2 from EV2RTSE) hooks to the lever and the smaller end (picture 1 from EV2RTSE) hooks to the whoop in the brake assembly body.
See the picture attached for how I looped the mechanics wire to hold the spring. Parking brake works just like new.
IMG_6511.jpg

Last edited:

Deathproofcuda

Reaction score
@Ronbo73
Thanks for reporting back on your fix. Were you able to purchase the small spring separately somewhere, or did you have to buy the Megaparts set? Is this one of those cases where what should be a $0.50 fix turns into a $40 repair to get the right part and have it shipped?

Ronbo73

Reaction score
@Deathproofcuda
I bought the set for $20 just for the little spring. The rest will be kept for overstock even though I have no use for them. But you never know, someday I may need something. I didn't look anywhere else after I found that they had it. Probably should have... Yes it was one of those cases.

Back