• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

engine ID?

Super-G

Reaction score
OK so there is a pad on the front of my engine up at the top by the intake. It has some numbers on it but I can't quite make them out. I definitely see a 440. Is there anywhere else I can look to find the numbers that will ID my block?

Super-G

Reaction score
OK so I deciphered the pad it reads as follows:

E 440

9 1 9 HP B....but this B is rotated so that it is sideways...

On the block down by the starter I found...

2536430 9

I think that I have a 1969 440 but if someone knows for certain I'd love to hear from an expert.

Thanks in advance

jvcuda

Reaction score
I am not an expert,but I do believe you are right! I think the sideways B means the crank has .010 undersized main and rod journals.

john

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
F was 70 so E was for 69 , there is a casting date on the side of the block as well

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I am not an expert,but I do believe you are right! I think the sideways B means the crank has .010 undersized main and rod journals.

john
The sideways B meant the assembly line worker had a hangover. Seriously, I don't know if it means anything. A .010 Undersize rod and main bearing crank was symbolized by the Maltese Cross and an X.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Maybe different symbols were for different years? My 70 and 71 Chrysler service manual say the same thing about the cross and the X meaning 10 10 under.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Here is what I have in 1 of my reference books.
Other letters and symbols may aooear on these pads. If not, it means the block has standard cylinder bore and bearings. On big blocks and Hemis a maltese cross will indicate 0.010in undersized main bearings. Any #s following the cross indicate specific bearings that are undersized; all others are standard sized. The letter X after the cross means that all of the mains are undersized 0.010 in. If the letter R appears it stands for rods and the same will apply as with the mains. The letter B means both Rods and mains are undersized.
The letter A on the pad indicates an overbore of 0.020in. Otherwise it is standard.
A diamond symbol on pad indicates that all tappets are o.s. by 0.008in.
Hopefully this is acurate info the book actually bounces between 0.001 and 0.010 without ryme or reason so...

Super-G

Reaction score
Great info guys. I appreciate all the feedback. Just out of curiosity, why would an engine come with rods and mains undersized from the factory??

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Factory flaws and rather then trash the parts they just machined them to work and stamped the pad so that sevicing dealerships knew what they were working with.

Back