• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Engine issues

open headers

Reaction score
Ok so I just replaced my 340 to a 360 magnum. At 2200 rpm’s there is metal rattle noise. Like a heat shield. Sounds like it’s at fire wall. Every thing is tight. Can’t find it. Driving me nuts. Any thoughts

Xcudame

Reaction score
Did you use either a 360 flex plate or 360 balanced torque converter? That's about the rpm an out of balance condition will really start to rattle.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Are the Tq converter bolts too long & contacting the plate ?
Possible exhaust leak ?

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Right sound & location so I agree , you may have to bend the plate a little for extra clearance but I have often seen this especially when using a 10 " converter instead of 11" as the bolts sit further in on the radius .

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Right sound & location so I agree , you may have to bend the plate a little for extra clearance but I have often seen this especially when using a 10 " converter instead of 11" as the bolts sit further in on the radius .
Exactly! Had the same issue. Found the TC bolt heads were scraping the inside of the inspection cover.

open headers

Reaction score
Ok found it. So at higher rpm the flex plate rubbed the starter. Ughhh. Ground starter down a little. All set. Thanks guys.

open headers

Reaction score
So now I’m breaking in new 360magnum. She’s running at 183 temp. And it’s 70 here. What’s average temperature it’ll run at.

moparleo

Reaction score
Depends on the engine build, tune, cooling system type. Many variables that you didn't tell us, only that it is a 5.9 Magnum.
A normal , accurate gauge reading would be around 190-200°.

Back