• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Engine noise

Litchkar

Reaction score
i have a sound in my passenger side of engine that sounds rocks rattling. I rebuilt and replaced everything except heads. I am now thinking valve spring issue. They are Edelbrock heads, with adjustable rockers. I have tightened, Loosened the lash, but it sounds awful below 1,200 rpms. But will rev up strong. I pulled the rockers, and can not see or feel anything on the springs. Could a spring be broken and not be detectable while assembled. 340 with a stroker, 10 to 1 compression.

Adam

Reaction score
If you don’t see anything obvious with the rockers or springs, check for a bent push rod. Pull the plugs on that side and look for one that is different; also compression check that side while you are at it...

Litchkar

Reaction score
Did a compression test all cylinders range from 175 to 185 psi. When I retard the distributor, the noise gets worse. Weak ignition? When I rev it up it smooths out. Same result with two different carbs

moparleo

Reaction score
Revving an engine with an unknown noise is not wise. If timing was an issue it would make noise ( pinging, pre-ignition) when you advance the timing. Retarding it would make the sound go away. The first thing that you will learn about diagnostics is to never assume anything. Just because something is new, does not guarantee that it is good. Always start with the simple, obvious things first and work your way through. If the sound is up top, the problem is probably up top. Valves, guides, spring, keepers, push rods or may be a combination. First, was the engine running fine and the noise came up all of a sudden ? Or did you just change or adjust something ? Were you running it hard or were you cruiseing or maybe just sitting still. Information is key to finding problems. Guessing is not.
Infographic: Engine Noises and What They Could Mean - OnAllCylinders

Last edited:

Litchkar

Reaction score
Found the problem. Someone suggested I pull my trans inspection cover but found no marks on it. A day later I still had it off and found what looked like a torque converter bolt on the floor. Jacked it up, and went under and found it was from the torque converter and the other bolts were loose. I applied Loctite blue to the bolts, retorqued them and let it sit. After a few hours, started it up and it purrs like a kitten. I was over thinking the problem.

Back