• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

engine numbers!?!

MXer99

Reaction score
well made the plunge the other day and bought my first ever dodge challenger from what I can gather its a 72 rallye and the motor matches the vin, but now im trying to figure out the numbers on the front of the block and so far anyone I have called and no matter which way I search I can not find anything on decoding these numbers... Somebody please help me!!! The car is about halfway done and im looking at figuring out where I am at with the motor I am hoping at least I have the forged crank. The number I have is CW340P33490470

MXer99

Reaction score
Ok so after searching for more I stumbled onto a website that broke it down for me, but I still have a few questions about the number. It said that "CW" was the year code and or the plant code but nowhere does "w" appear anywhere has anybody seen this? Also my car is clearly a 1972 but according to the 10000 day calendar the motor was built on Monday, September 28, 1970...Did they put motors made that far back in these cars. Also I'm sure that means I have the forged crank but would that mean I have the higher compression motor with the bigger valves or was it normal for a motor to be made in 1970 and put in a 1972 meaning I have a low compression motor? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MXer99

Reaction score
All of the numbers match, the vin matches the vin stamped on the block by the oil pan, the cowling and the radiator support. I bought this car as a numbers matching car and so far all the numbers I have found matched. Just trying to figure out anything I can about this motor before I start tearing into and thanks for the links def going to add those to my resources!

moparlee

Reaction score
Just look at the side of your block. Just above the casting number should be the casting date. PIC attached. Sept 1970 is way too early for a 1972.

DSCF2742.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I would bet the block was re-stamped no way a block cast in June 70 should be factory in a 72 car but never say never

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I agree the block was restamped. Post a pic of the stamping of the VIN.

MXer99

Reaction score
I'm out of town working right now but Monday morning i will get pics of all the numbers on the motor and y'all can tell me what you think.

MXer99

Reaction score
well sadly I don't have to post a pic to tell you I was lied to about numbers matching everything matches but the motor...but at least I have the better motor I hope...

72Cuda340

Reaction score
Join the club :( I have an "All numbers matching Cuda"... that somehow had a different block vin when it was delivered. Sorry, but welcome! Still a nice car, any chance of a full or partial
refund?

KATSAAR

Reaction score
#######################s

don't feel bad.
not all of us care about ###s
drive it and enjoy it.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I suppose you have a fraud case if you do not want the car or can wrangle a rebate on the price paid or just enjoy the car as it is .

MXer99

Reaction score
Well the car came from a good friend so I took his word...guess I know now to look harder before spending my money... I def love the car no matter if its numbers matching or not!!! Owning a piece of history like that is priceless!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Well then enjoy the car , I am glad you found a car to fill the dream of owning one !

rbbruno3

Reaction score
You can still post some pics of your car. We would all love to check it out. Thanks

Back