• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

engine starts but won't stay running

rickb

Reaction score
I bought a 70 barracuda a couple years ago and did a frame up restoration. Marked everything before the teardown as well as I could. Just before the teardown the engine ran terrible, not sure why. Assumed it was the carb.Now that its all back together with a new carb its acting the same as it was.
I have to floor it just to get it to start and it will only stay running for 20 sec or so and dies the second I let off with a loud flaming backfire out the carb. Now I'm thinking something with the ignition or coil or resistor might be incorrect, but not sure how to check because its not the same as the wiring diagram in the repair manual.
After searching for similar problems i found a bunch of threads with most of the answers way over my head.
With the ignition on there is 11v on bith terminals on one end of the resistor and 2v on both of the other end.
Any help would be great.
Thanks
Rick

rickb

Reaction score
Engine is a 340. Plug wires and resistor are new, but motor was dynoed on a stand at rebuild shop. I think carb and wires should be good with them just running it.

moparleo

Reaction score
So it was dyno'ed and ran good but after reinstalling into car it runs bad? Nothing was disconnected when removing from the dyno except for radiator hoses, fuel line, hot wire to coil, carb linkage ?

rickb

Reaction score
Just found out they didn't use my dist but their own. Going to check thst closer

rickb

Reaction score
No marks on cap or any wires. Just assumed they put it on correctly. Any ideas? Can I email or text you a pic? I can't figure out how to post them on here from my phone

moparleo

Reaction score
It is hard to follow the wires in your picture Do this first. Rotate the engine to top dead center on the timing marks. Remove distributor cap and mark with a marker or something similar the distributor housing where the rotor is pointing. That should be number 1. Mark the plug wire with a pen or wrap a piece of tape around the wire. Now check to see if the mark on the distributor and the marked wire line up when the cap is reinstalled. It should be fairly close. Now starting with the number 1 wire follow the wires clock wise to check firing order 18436572 . The odd numbers are the drivers side and the even numbers are the passenger side. Let me know what you find.

rickb

Reaction score
Wires were on correct. Also pulled out the fuel filters in case that was choking gas flow with no luck.

Back