• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Engine/Tranny Installation from Under Car - Instructions Needed

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Guys,

1970 Challenger

Any good links of videos/instructions on how to install engine/trans from under car like factory. I don't have a lift, so need instructions on:
- Dollies for engine and trans to assemble, then roll under car.
- Best way to lift front safely
- All the mounting bolts/locations. Tips of what other infrastructure should be installed before installing engine/trans.

Other option is to remove hood and drop it in, but any advice on either method is appreciated.

Thanks!

Grady Cain

Reaction score
This video shows the process on a B-body but the same principle applies for the E-body. Rollers for the rear attached to the forward rear leaf spring mounts and an extension mounted to where the front bumper bolts on to the frame for an engine hoist to lift from. Having at least one extra person on hand is helpful but not impossible to do solo...

Daves69

Reaction score
...........Having at least one extra person on hand is helpful but not impossible to do solo...
Some things to consider.
Maybe a couple temporary studs in the frame to help locate the K-member would help.
Measure the bolt heads to the nut of the torsion bar adjusts to get you back on reassembly. ID both bars, L-R & F-R if you take them completely out.
Mark current positions of upper control arm cams. Tighten when car is back at ride height

Built me a new tool

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Thanks much guys.....I have to get creative and figure how to build/buy the engine/trans dolly and the cherry picker lifting frame.

dadeo1852

Reaction score
Here's what I used to do mine, floor jack and motorcycle jack only plus 4 guys total. 2 sat in the trunk to make the front light and my friend and I lifted the front of the body over. It was surprisingly easy.
index_001_002.jpg
index_001_017.jpg
index_002_002.jpg

rbbruno3

Reaction score
A lot of rental stores have engine hoists . Where are you located ? You could surely use mine if you are/ were close enough

moparleo

Reaction score
An easy way to align the k-frame holes is to just use strings with preferably plumb bobs or any small weights attached to the ends about a foot long and align the weighted string ends with the K-frame holes when lowering the body over the K-frame.

brotow

Reaction score
I built a dolly out of 2x4's and 2x6's scrap lumber, I was given a old pneumatic frame/bumper jack along time ago, I used that to lift the car off my blocks, I could have used my engine hoist also. I also left the rotisserie front mount on the car If your drive train is on a dolly it is not too difficult to line up the k frame bolts, and adding the string with a weight dangled near the bolt holes make it a little easier.

100_2152.JPG

100_2154.JPG

100_2156.JPG

doubleyellow

Reaction score
You guys are very creative!! Appreciate all the tips and photos. Main point is to be safe!! Celebrate with a case of beer after the body is lowered and bolted!! Wish me luck

Back