• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Engine wiring harness help

JunkYardFind

Reaction score
Just received my new engine wiring harness from Evans Wiring. Probably a straight forward job once I get going but I would be grateful for any tips or possibly a diagram to follow in case I cannot simply unplug the old wire and plug in the new. I see the whole car wiring diagrams that look pretty complicated. Is there a separate diagram for each harness that plugs into the bulkhead? I am going to replace each one....one at a time....very slowly.

JunkYardFind

Reaction score
A couple questions right off the bat....
> on the Evans tab there is a blank on the bottom left of the tab (fig 1). On the OE there is a blue wire leading into the harness. (fig 2) Where/what is the blue wire I am missing?
> On both harness there is a lead out immediately after the main plug (fig 3) this was not connected to anything on my car it was just hanging there. Where/what is this?

Thanks....gonna a be a few questions on this job. Not to familiar with wiring but have already done the bypass and headlight relay fixes. Both really easy. Hopefully this will be too once I get going.

Attachments

• fig 1.jpg
    fig 1.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 183
  • fig 2.jpg
    fig 2.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 158
  • fig 3.jpg
    fig 3.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 172

70chall440

Reaction score
Ok, so what year/type car is this? Do you have a factory wiring diagram? If so, you should be able to follow it and figure out what that plug goes to.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I am not trying to ignore this but it will take time to find the wiring diagram & study what wire should be n the location & why it was deleted in your harness

Ralph

Reaction score
I know I am not answering your questions but there are also accessory wiring harnesses that you may need for your specific car like the AC systems have a separate hardness etc., specific accessory lighting package

JunkYardFind

Reaction score
More progress! Thanks for the help here.
I am almost wired, just have 3 wires I need verification before I attempt to start her up.

1. On the Evans harness there is a Gray wire that leads just below the 4 pin ballast resistor. (Fig gray1) There is a natural plug right next to it so I am pretty sure this one goes there. The Evans gray wire reaches but just barely, I will have to extend the wire about an inch to reach the connect. Also, what is this connection? It leads to a cylindrical piece that has a green wire attached, which is not connected from long ago.

2. Next is the Brown wire that leads out with the alt wires. (fig brown-alt1) I have no natural connection for this. It also looks like a VERY small connector within the wire. (fig brown-alt2)

3. Lastly the blue wire that matches perfectly with the AC compressor connect (fig blue AC2). Likely plugs here but I am confused as the Blue wire in port 20 of the bulkhead connector is not there. It matches too well for it not be correct I would think. I will contact Evans on this if there is any doubt.

Attachments

• gray1.jpg
    gray1.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 179
  • brown-alt1.jpg
    brown-alt1.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 159
  • brown-alt2.jpg
    brown-alt2.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 160
  • blue-AC2.jpg
    blue-AC2.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 154

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Grey wire with spade connector would be oil beside the dist on a small block or right at the rear on a big block
Brown wire should go across to the washer fluid bottle to run the pump .
not sure on the 3rd / blue wire

JunkYardFind

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Hopefully the Brown wire is a key on hot. Going to use it for my elect choke. My washer bottle is manual.
I figured the Gray was oil. There is a Green that attaches on the back of that. Any idea what/where that goes? It was just hanging when I pulled the wiring.

moparroy

Reaction score
I don't see a green referenced on the '73 wiring diagram with the gray for the oil pressure switch.
Agree the brown is washer motor - it would be hot only when washer switch it pushed - if you don't have one its likely not connected to anything on the instrument side of the bulkhead. The wiring diagram shows choke heater through choke control from the dark blue ignition feed that goes to ballast, alt regulator and ignition module.
I think the Fig 3 in your first post might be the brake test connector - for testing brake warning light

1617221010466.png

Back