• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Exhaust gasket leaks

Adam

Reaction score
IMG_3139.jpgIMG_3140.jpg

My fresh 440, cast iron heads, and new Hedman Elite headers were leaking, loudly. I first installed them with the gaskets that came with the headers and they didnt cut it. I tried a set of copper gaskets, .050 thick with a .010 raised rib; also didnt work. I could feel the leaks by running my hand close the the flange. I installed a set of Remflex graphite gaskets yesterday and no freakin leaks! They are .125 thick and will crush down up to 50%. They claim they can withstand 3000 degrees. I am pleased so far, but we will see how they last under pressure.. if they don't I will update this post... I was considering going with factory manifolds, but didn't want to give up any power, probably should have. These headers have a 3/8 thick flange and I checked them with a straight edge so I have no idea why they were leaking.

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3140.jpg

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
Hi Adam,

I used to be an aftermarket product engineer with Fel-Pro; worked with them from 1976~2006. The primary reason any such gasket will leak is due to poor clamp load (tap/chase the threadings, plus lube the threadings), out-of-flatness, or imperfect casting finishes (including typical ridges around the ports). The Fel-Pro Performance racing header gaskets should've worked... did you try them? Tubular headers tend to vibrate and lose their clamp loads at the bolts or studs.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
the problem with locking fasteners is often not the fastener loosening but the gasket compressing through numerous heat cycles .
He is also still using the factory studs from the picture ... just saying !!

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
You are correct that most type of exhaust gaskets normally should go through a couple of hot/cold cycles before they stabilize. These will maintain their tightness upon final torqueing of the fastener.

Back