• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Exhaust sound

Eli'scoupe

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on what exhaust/mufflers would sound very close to factory exhaust for an E body? I can remember the sound of some of the muscle cars back in the day but not a Cuda. I kinda remember a factory Road Runner/383. I don't want anything real loud but I want it to sound like a muscle car. Thought about Magnaflow but am not sure. Don't want to spend the money for an NOS type as I don't have a matching numbers car. Maybe budget $600-$700.
Thanks,
Denny

ramenth

Reaction score
Magnaflows are loud, in my opinion.

I've always appreciated the deep bass rumble of a big block powered Mopar. There's no sound like it. Chevies, to me, have always had a "tinny" sound to me and Ford's rumble is more in the tenor range.

crash520

Reaction score
I love the original sound but wanted to go bigger pipes, so, I went with a Magnaflow system, got a deal from year One, Im pretty sure I will also add a pair of round resonators out back like original as Im pretty sure the MF system will be too loud, and yes, the Cuda tips act like a megaphone, Nice sound though

Eli'scoupe

Reaction score
I have Flowmaster's 40 I believe, on one of my Challenger's. A 2 1/2" system with no resonators. The tips will ultimately affect the sound. Like a horn , large opening, bigger sound.
Since I have a 383, I'll go with a 2 1/2" system. If I had a 440 or larger I would go with 3". Were the resonators put on to quiet the exhaust more than just mufflers?

moparleo

Reaction score
Yes they do. If the system is too loud, you can quiet it down more by adding the resonators at the rear beside the gas tank. This will quiet it down but it will still have a good tone. Just not as loud with normal driving. There is another option if you want. How about electric cut outs ? These will open the exhaust at the flick of a switch. Not cheap, but effective.

bc3j

Reaction score
I use the stock OEM system from Accurate Exhaust. It has the resonators and mufflers. I like the sound. However, my system was $1,000. The installation was perfect and straight forward. Lot of exhaust systems out there to fit everyone's likes. My car is a 383.

Eli'scoupe

Reaction score
I have headers with 3" collectors. Also my rear valance doesn't have the openings for the exhaust. Do you think the Accurate system would work for my car?

dfrazz

Reaction score
When my Challenger had the standard valance, I used turn down tips and dumped the exhaust just before the rear axle.

bc3j

Reaction score
My system is totally stock including the exhaust manifolds. I also use the stock exhaust tips. This sound is totally stock, which is what I was aiming for.

Last edited:

Eli'scoupe

Reaction score
Been working 12 hrs. a day this week. Not much time for forum. Maybe I can use the Accurate mufflers and resonators. I'll be using this Cuda for 200-300 mile trips occasionally. Going to buy a nice sounds system for the wife. Probably be upset if she couldn't hear it. Personally the sound of a big block is what I like to listen to. Thank you all for your advice.

bc3j

Reaction score
When I bought my system, I gave them my right and left exhaust manifold casting numbers. The head pipes were apparently matched to the manifolds and the fit was excellent.

cudaracer

Reaction score
Stay away from Pypes.

So I have Pypes on my 72 E-Body with 318 slightly modified and Dakota exhaust manifolds, slightly ported. They have the X-cross pipe, aluminized and route through the valence.

I hate them. They drone and drone and drone.

Before I spend money on resonators, I would rather swap out mufflers. I want something a bit more quiet and deep, not this thashing tinny sound I get with pypes.
Are there Dynomax Super Turbos that will fit?

Gribb

Reaction score
Been working 12 hrs. a day this week. Not much time for forum. Maybe I can use the Accurate mufflers and resonators. I'll be using this Cuda for 200-300 mile trips occasionally. Going to buy a nice sounds system for the wife. Probably be upset if she couldn't hear it. Personally the sound of a big block is what I like to listen to. Thank you all for your advice.
I've Got A set of Borla with 3" exhaust dumped out before the valance. It's a small block but sounds like a big block, kinda rumbles. I love mine and get lots of completments. she'll be able to hear it alright.

ECS

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on what exhaust/mufflers would sound very close to factory exhaust for an E body?.....

03.jpg

04.jpg

04.jpg

02.jpg

01.jpg

03.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
Mufflers with resonators like those shown, if you want stock sound. Don't forget the tips, they have the final effect on the exhaust sound. think of them as the bell on a trumpet. The bigger the opening the louder and lower the exhaust pitch.

Back