• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Exhaust thoughts

booyaballer

Reaction score
I'm ordering my TTI headers tomorrow (TTI340BE-C5 1-5/8" x 1-3/4" x 3" STEP HEADERS). According to the details, they should work fine with my stock starter. they recommend a mini starter to avoid having to remove header if I need to replace starter in the future.

has anyone had issues with a stock starter?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The stock starters are very reliable But if yours is 50 years old I would not trust it , grab a mini starter from a V8 Magnum in a wrecking yard , change the 2 contacts that the contact ring touches & it will be far more reliable , I bet you can get one from a wrecker for $40 or less & the 2 new contacts cost less than $5

Drivun

Reaction score
Booyaballer : TTIs instructions are very well thought out, so Id have confidence an OEM starter would fit. That being said Id encourage you to go with a mini starter "while you're in there". Note you really need to jack car up a lot to get long tubes in from underneath.

Speaking of TTI's instructions they clearly warn of Keisler/SST fitment cautions and am wondering how you will get around the clearance issues I raised in my earlier posts? I called TTI when it happened and they said " we warned you!". They offered a angled extension to help a bit with the cross pipe clearance but that still left collector and tube clearance issues. I have my suspension set at 24 1/2 height middle of the wheel well and used all three spacers SST supplied to lift the tranny tail shaft up to the max in the enlarged tunnel. That gave me 2 1/2 inches of ground clearance at the collector flange with the TTI340BE-C2. That's not enough for standard 4 inch speed bump, and its in exactly where the car comes down over a speed bump.

The pic below is with my TTI shorties. I have 4 inches exactly at the lowest point which is the rearward clamp. Visually, a LT header will add another 1 3/4" below this pipe. The collector will Narrow it down a bit, but the flange will be wider yet again, getting back down to about 2 1/2 inches of clearance.

Not trying to be argumentative, but both wanting to learn and save you an expensive mistake. Very curious. And if your interested I have 2000 PowerTour miles on the the TTI340BE-C2s that I'm not using. (I raised torsion bars up to 25 1/2 inches to do tour with around 3 1/2 inches of clearance). Very good condition with some scraping on passenger side lower tubes and slight pie cuts taken at collectors to angle upward.

Attachments

• chal pipe.jpg
    chal pipe.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 197

fasjac

Reaction score
I'm ordering my TTI headers tomorrow (TTI340BE-C5 1-5/8" x 1-3/4" x 3" STEP HEADERS). According to the details, they should work fine with my stock starter. they recommend a mini starter to avoid having to remove header if I need to replace starter in the future.

has anyone had issues with a stock starter?
Yes, I’ve had issues with a stock starter with cheap headers. PITA to remove a header to replace kit. No other choice though. You’ll have to remove the stock starter with tti as you know. I was a young man then. I now run the TTI’s and like them. I’ve also used Doug’s. After the last motor, I bought a mini starter. Now have plenty of room should it fail. For the money, my opinion is definitely get the gear reduction starter just in case. You won’t have to remove the header to replace it. JMO
My apologies, I’m running a BB

booyaballer

Reaction score
Are the provided tti gaskets good enough?

I' think i'll bite the bullet now and a get a mini starter and save myself a future hassle. any recommendations?

NoCar340

Reaction score
Are the provided tti gaskets good enough?

No problems thus far on my Valiant at the cylinder heads, but I went with Percy's aluminum gaskets at the collectors right out of the gate. If you have the option of dead-soft copper or aluminum, I'd recommend it. I didn't find such an option for W2 heads... not that I looked very hard.

I' think i'll bite the bullet now and a get a mini starter and save myself a future hassle. any recommendations?

Walk into your favorite parts store and ask them for a starter for any Magnum V6 (3.9) or V8 (5.2 or 5.9), essentially '93-'03 . They changed the number over the years, and supposedly the '99-up unit has a bit more power (2.7 v. 2.5HP) but any of them have at least .8HP over the smog-era "long coil" starter and a full 1HP over the "short coil" starter used on most of the Chrysler musclecars. The '91-'95 starter, which I sell under part #17466 (Genco/BBB), seems to run $20-$30 cheaper than the later ones. I had one on my 440+6 Charger for a few years with headers and it never hiccuped.

It's the same starter the "performance" guys sell, just less expensive and usually with a lifetime warranty (ours has). If you look at some of the high-perf Ford and Chevy starters, they're literally the Magnum starter with the end machined off and adapter added to fit the Brand X and Y stuff.

Back