• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fender badge

Muffler124

Reaction score
Hello, new member here. I am currently romancing a 72 challenger ralleye. Seems almost all original. I know the owner and am making regular visits for inspection before purchase. I've done research on the vin. Basin street blue, 340, 4 speed, it now has a 383, 4 speed. I would purchase the car for a complete frame off resto. It's complete except for some wheel opening trim rear. I'm sure there will will be many more surprises as resto projects all have them. I would install all body stiffening panels to compliment a stout 383 possible 432 stroker. Would like to do a 4 link rear and coil over front. I know sounds ambitious but I have the blessings and help from the whole family. This car drives but is fairly lose and obviously needs the resto. Now, first question which I believe belongs in the body section. The fender tag is missing. The blue paint is not disturbed where the tag used to be. is this a obvious sign of body parts being replaced? The holes are there but no tag. The tag probably wound up in a tool box someplace. Any ideas on what to look for for damage or poor workmanship would be appreciated.

jeff968

Reaction score
The fender tag is missing. The blue paint is not disturbed where the tag used to be. is this a obvious sign of body parts being replaced?

I would say no. The most common reason owners would remove tags back in the day was to take them to the paint supply store and show them the code to have the paint mixed up. You want to check for spot welds and original paint/sealer.

Muffler124

Reaction score
I would say no. The most common reason owners would remove tags back in the day was to take them to the paint supply store and show them the code to have the paint mixed up. You want to check for spot welds and original paint/sealer.

Muffler124

Reaction score
Right, will do. There are no obvious signs of major issues and I want to be sure. My next visit will be more invasive as I will tale a flash light with. He'll be fine with a little scraping and inspection inside and under. Thanks for the reply!

340challconvert

Reaction score
Just to be safe and sure, with no fender tag, check to make sure the serial number from the dash tag matches the numbers stamped on the body; top of cowl on drivers side and on radiator frame. This will verify nothing funny went on. Most of the time the fender tag does end up in a tool box, but better to check!
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I think a lot of tags were removed back in the day to smooth out and unclutter the engine room. It was at the same time the chrome air cleaner and valve covers were being installed.

Muffler124

Reaction score
Just to be safe and sure, with no fender tag, check to make sure the serial number from the dash tag matches the numbers stamped on the body; top of cowl on drivers side and on radiator frame. This will verify nothing funny went on. Most of the time the fender tag does end up in a tool box, but better to check!
Numbers match and I'm still making trips to eyeball the car for issues. Thanks for the reply.

Muffler124

Reaction score
I think a lot of tags were removed back in the day to smooth out and unclutter the engine room. It was at the same time the chrome air cleaner and valve covers were being installed.
Very astute observation, as it happens to have chrome air filter and aluminum finned rocker housings! Lol.

4mayhemi

Reaction score
Seems almost all original. I would purchase the car for a complete frame off resto. I'm sure there will will be many more surprises as resto projects all have them.
Next trip out take some photos and post 'em, FEBO might settle a few surprises ahead of buying ("frame-off" is a Chebby term, cough cough). Good luck with the purchase!

Back