• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fender Tag protection / restoration

Trifecta

Reaction score
Not sure I've got the right section on the forum but...

My fender tag is in pretty bad shape. I have removed and cleaned it of all rust. What would you coat it with to protect and seal out all moisture. It is thin enough that I probably will not put it back on the car.

Can fender tags be restored? Not interested in a repop.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a repopped tag if you have the documentation to back it up. There are several products out there that will neutralize the rust, Rust-Mort being one of them. Eastwoods rust encapsulation primer or Rust Bullet would also work.

Trifecta

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I have removed the rust with enviro-rust and it did an awesome job. Now I just want to get a coating on it to prevent any further deterioration. Recommendations?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
So there's zero rust? If that's the case I'd just coat it with a self etching primer. All of the encapsulators or "paint over rust" products require some rust as a bonding agent. If its not going back on the car and will just live out its life in your desk drawer you could put anything on it and it won't rust.
Almost 4 years and these are your first posts???
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Why not participate and post up some pics??

Back