• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Getting the 340 build going.

wyckedtanker

Reaction score
Exactly it had two notches ground in it on both sides top and bottom halves. Everything felt good and tight without any movement. What could cause it like this. Wrong bearings installed, wrong connecting rods? Who knows at least it didn't lock up it like you said spin the bearing

aussiemark

Reaction score
It looks like the main bearing with the thrust you are holding in the photo if so those grooves are normal they are machined there for oiling. When you assemble it leaver the crank back and forward with a pry bar against the counter weights and main caps measure the amount of movement with a dial indicator this is your thrust.

moparleo

Reaction score
Hey guy, every one has to start somewhere. You most likely don't have enough of the correct tools or engine building experience and that is ok. BUT get someone with the experience and the correct tools to help you with your build. The best would be to pay the machine shop who machines all of your engine parts to do it for you. You don't want to spend a lot of money and then do something wrong.

wyckedtanker

Reaction score
Your right I have plenty of engine building experience, but they were all factory correct general motors restoration builds. My Dakota had a 408 475hp motor but I had it built for me so this is my first mopar build

aussiemark

Reaction score
You'll be right the most important thing is to check all the clearances are correct (even if the machinist said it's ok check it yourself), make sure everything is clean (get one of those tiny bottle brushes and clean all the oil passages in the block and crank even if the machine shop did it, do it again) if the engine has a lot of mods or aftermarket parts do a dummy build to check everything's ok, pull it apart, make any necessary changes, clean it again and assemble it for real.

wyckedtanker

Reaction score
Well after spending two days on the phone not a single machine shop within 90 miles of me can sonic check my .040 over 340. So that motor it's going on the shelf for a mild build in the future. And after researching all the big mopar names I saw a 606hp 426 magnum stroker that Hughes engines built for pump gas and I'm going that route for my challenger I will be dealing with them alot it seems

moper

Reaction score
That happens - at least they didn't lie to you and take money for something they can't do. I'm not a fan of Hughes, but it's your $$.

Back