• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Government Issue Barracuda?

Reaction score
I have been trying to run this down for the last 6 months through other forums and through Dave Wise without success. I'm hoping another prospective will help. When I purchased the car, the owner told me that he had purchased the car from a government auction in St. Louis and that it was used by the Secret Service. It seemed like a fantastical tale, so just I smiled and nodded. However, some clues started adding up. First was a U.S. Secret Service sticker on the inside of the glove box door. When I pulled the back seat and found the broadcast sheet, it had a few oddities. N95 California emissions for a Missouri car. Y39 special order, T99 for special tires, 17 SPECIAL ORDER on the bottom of the broadcast sheet, and an N to begin the VON. All I've gotten so far is "could have just been an auction inventory sticker", "it's unique" and "it's a special car". Back then the Secret Service was part of the Treasury. Has anyone ever heard of one of these being used for government purposes?

20221106_131347.jpg

Broadcast Sheet.jpg

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I have not heard of the SS using these cars but that by no means is reason to believe it didn't happen.
Let's hope someone can shed some insight on the N00840 VON.
How does the fender tag compare to the build sheet? Anything odd there?
Does the door sticker reflect the same?

I will tag the resident expert when I can figure out who is on this site.
You might want to also try over on ebodies.org as that site has several people in the know watching from the back ground.

Also, fcbo is another location to ask as there are police car collectors on that site and they will have a difference of opinion from any of the ebody, abody or Bbody sites. Great info on cop cars there.

Would love to learn more about the car. More pictures please.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Also I can not make out the vin number in order to do a search on the car or ask a few folks that are not on the forum social media things.
Fender tag would help that.

pschlosser

Reaction score
At the very least, there was some government object with this sticker on it, and when it started to peal off, someone stuck it on the inside of the glove box. But that's not much a story or conspiracy, I'm afraid. :)

I've transferred a few "property stickers" over the years. Not to my car, but other fun places.

Reaction score
@cudahunter
Thanks. I actually joined e-bodies.org right after I purchased the car. There is a full thread over there. Lots of good information, but unfortunately no conclusion. I was hoping maybe some experts that are only on this forum might chime in. Attached is a picture of the fender tag and door tag. You can see they don't match, but I think that was a factory error. Cowl and core support numbers match fender tag and dash VIN. I'll get it out of the garage this weekend for more photos, but you may just have to document it if any of your hunts take you through St. Louis.

20221101_162810.jpg

20221101_162927.jpg

pschlosser

Reaction score
Cool typo on that door sticker. A "Vee" versus a "Bee" almost sounds as if it was dictated to a typist, which seems dangerously error-prone.

I have not seen an example using a slash on the date this decal. Always a hyphen, if I recall correctly.

The typed font looks smaller than others I've seen this era. Here's a image of a repop.
s-l1600.jpg

I'm not sure its anything to worry about. Possibly it was replaced somewhere during its life by a dealer, or something.

Last edited:
Back