• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Head Choice

Aussie Challenger

Reaction score
Has anybody used the RHS LA X heads? How much better are they over the originals of a 360 or are the 308 a better option? Motor will not be max Hi Perf but a strong cruiser. I am just getting info, I know alloy heads are lighter and can be made to flow but am interested in these iron heads, thank you for your responses. :)

DTCMMLF

Reaction score
Greetings!!! First thing I notice on the RHS is smaller valve size. My original X heads have the 2.02 Intake. The RHS is using the later 360 Intake size. Also, I replaced my original valves (which a have a deep dish in the center) to stainless which has a more flat facing on the valve, and this will increase the compression ratio, just a tad. But with todays alcohol mixed fuels, I wanted the toughness of stainless. I have 2 sets of original X heads and 2 sets of later 360 heads that were opened up to accept the larger valve. Intake runners on the RHS look larger and cleaner, but if you're doing a street ride, I'd go with the X variety or the 360's hogged out for the larger stainless.
My opinion only, your mileage will vary!!! Have been to Sydney, Brisbane and Darwin!!!
Keep 'em smiling and rolling down under!!!!!!! Mike

moper

Reaction score
They are a much better head than the factory heads. It's a better designed port, the chambers are better and more modern, and they can run the cheaper LA valvetrain and LA intakes. They are heavier because they are cast with provisions for both LA and Magnum setups. They can be ordered with the Magnum 1.92 or the LA 2.02 valve as mentioned. In terms of flow, the RHS heads flow about the same as the RPMs out of the box. The RPMs can be made to flow more in total, but the RHS heads are quite good once ported too.

DTCMMLF

Reaction score
Reading the Engine Master's comparison between stock 360 heads over the RHS, the net gain was an additional 45 ponies on the Dyno, with an additional 500 rpms to get that Horsepower and an addition 13 ft pounds of torque. Believe the RPM was 5100. Waiting on their techy guys for an answer on the 2.02 version. Not sure of the prices there, but 45 ponies is a good increase.... Best of luck! By the way, they make 2 versions of this head. LA-X will only fit older LA intakes. The MA-X accepts the later intakes... That may influence your purchase price as well... Again, good luck.
The write up for the tests is at:
http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/engine-masters-magazine-testing-rhs-360x-3494.html#post6110

moper

Reaction score
The differences between the LA-X and MA-X heads are also the rocker gear. They are cast with both LA and Magnum style rocker supports, and only one is finish machined to work. The LA-X IMO is the best oprion. The LA styles of rockers and intakes provide many different options that are usually cheaper too.

DTCMMLF

Reaction score
RHS has Spoken

RHS does NOT supply their heads with a valve larger than the 1.92.

I pasted in their response below. Not to say your local Head shop couldn't do the job, but you won't get them from RHS.

Sorry the 1.920 is the only intake valve size available. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks

Steve Siegel

Technical Sales & Support

COMP Performance Group™
3406 Democrat Rd.
Memphis, TN 38118

Toll Free: (800)999-0853
Fax: (901)366-1807
[email protected]
www.compperformancegroup.com

Cheers!!!!!

moper

Reaction score
Hmm. I saw both sets at Carlisle 2 yrs ago. That was the first time they were out to the public. At Indy's spot on the midway. I must have mistaken a set assembled by Indy for "available that way". Sorry about that.

Aussie Challenger

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I have checked around since the original post, 2.02" inlets are not original and neither are bronze valve guides but I have read that both can be ordered. Hughes seem to do a few modifications but the price goes up accordingly. A mate over here (Aussie) bought a set of bare heads and they were already at the 2.02", strange. The later combustion chamber on these heads is a plus and having thinner valve stems helps flow slightly. I will be looking at the LA-X for my earlier blocked motor and because I will be using early rockers, the MAX-X heads are for the later blocks & rockers. Thanks for the link I have downloaded the PDF file on the heads.
DTCMMLF you should have dropped in I am 500 miles south of Sydney, 2 hrs due east of Melbourne. :D Our country is a lot like yours but different at the same time, wide and diverse. :)

Last edited:

DTCMMLF

Reaction score
Great! Next time I am looking at the Southern Cross, we'll pull out a cold one from the fridge and we'll sit and rag chew on MOPARs!!! On your original question: I like the idea of the extra ponies if I'm going to be ripping up asphalt somewhere. Otherwise, I'll stick with the stock 'X' heads since in my neck of the woods, most folks like 'seeing' all original. Internally, I balance EVERYTHING, even the supposedly "already to go externally balanced stuff". Spend $200 and balance it or have something come apart and spend $2000.00!!!! Glad to supply good info to anyone that I think I can assist!!! Cheers Mate! I'll Send along my email address and send you a 2 pager of what I got out back when you reply!!! Hope me sending my email here is not breaking any rules??? If so, let me know and I will not do it again!!!!! [mine is: [email protected]]

Aussie Challenger

Reaction score
No problems about emailing from me, that is what these boards are about helping each other, over here in Australia we have a limited info to fall back on. :D

Back