• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hello from the frigid North!

340SHAKER

Reaction score
OK, here is my story, I have been a Challenger guy most of my life. It all started in the early seventies when I got a model (assembly required) for Christmas. It was the Sox & Martin Challenger. Some of you older guys may remember it. As I put that plastic model together I couldn't help thinking how cool it would be if I could someday build a REAL Challenger. In 1977 I was working my first job and drove past a local used car lot and saw this red 73 Challenger sitting on the brake rotors and drums. Someone had stolen the wheels & tires as well as both of the exterior mirrors off of it. I just had to stop and take a look. It was a 340 automatic on the column. I figured since the wheels and tires were gone maybe I could get a good deal on it. I went in and bought it for $1200. I installed a set of Keystone classic on it and I thought it was the coolest car in town! Later that summer I was at the beach and when I came back to my car I found this hot young girl in a white bikini sitting on the hood. The first thing I said was "get off my car!" We talked for a little while and went our own separate way. That evening ony my way home I stopped at the neighbor's party for a beer (legal age was 18). I came out of the house and guess what? There she was sitting on the hood of my car again, and again I told her "get off my car!" (I married her 4 years later) The next summer a guy showed up in town driving a 71 Challenger R/T. It was a triple black 340 4 speed car with a shaker hood! Now there was a new coolest car in town and I really wanted to have it. I dealt with him every time I saw him but he never sell it to me. He then moved away and I thought I would never see that car again. A number of years later I did managed to track him down. He still had the car but it had been sitting in a barn in pieces since 1982 and it was NOT for sale. I did my due diligence and called him once or twice a year just to check if he would sell it. After bothering him for about 12 more years he finally sold it to me. I have been building my dream "REAL" Challenger ever since. I am finally getting the car close to back together. I was looking online for how to install this part and that part when I came across this forum. I figured I should join as I'm sure I will be asking you guys for some help sooner or later. I have added a couple of pictures of what I have gotten done so far. Forgive me for the last picture of the car, for some reason it wants to be upside down and I can't figure out why.

I don't have that Red 73 anymore but I just celebrated my 35th wedding anniversary with that hot young girl in the white bikini.

Challenger coming home.jpg

bodyshop 002.jpg

bodyshop 001.jpg

Seats.jpg

Challenger left front.jpg

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Welcome aboard , yes great story. Sounds like you will once again have the coolest car in town soon. a triple black shaker car!!! Awesome , persistence does pay off

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Just goes to show that once you are hooked on a Mopar, always hooked. So is that up side down pic, the car as it sits today? What's left to do? There are all kinds of good resources on this site to help you out.

wedg2go

Reaction score
Cool story - Cool car - and a "Hey" from somewhere on the road!

340SHAKER

Reaction score
I took that picture last summer when I hauled it in to get the headliner installed and seats recovered. Since then I have managed to get the engine and trans installed. I am currently installing the brake and fuel lines. That's what I was trying to figure out when I found this forum. I was looking for the brake line R clamps. Mine are in ruff shape and I hate to put those nasty things back on. Then my next major project is to get the dash installed. It also looks pretty ruff. I have a new pad but I don't know if any of the gauges work or not so I need to take it apart and paint it and make sure everything works. I just ordered all of the electrical harnesses, they should be here tomorrow. Missing allot under the hood. When I pulled it out of the barn I couldn't find the radiator and fan and a few other things.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Welcome from NW CT. Great story and great car. Lots of people here to help you. Show us some more right-side-up pics when you can...

340SHAKER

Reaction score
Thank you. LOL! I don't know what's up with that picture. I have tried several times to attach it and it is always upside down. It's driving me nuts! I'm sure as I get closer to finished I will need some advice. The fuel lines and vent lines at the tank may get me.

Back