• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Help me find the right piece of trim for my hood

Dubs Chops

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a fiberglass 6pack hood. I bought a refular hood front trim and it is not the same. It is about 1/2 to short and sets too far back. And the mounting holes are not the same as my hood. I dont have any idea what the hood is. It just came on my car.

20170524_204124_zpsg3lwqs4r.jpg

20170524_204133_zps0viqiorw.jpg

20170524_204045_zpswfijdfr5.jpg

Grady Cain

Reaction score
20160110_163604.jpg

I don't think it's that your trim "sets too far back" but rather your aftermarket hood is too short. A factory T/A hood fits flush with the ends of the fenders. I see the style lines line up from the hood into the fenders - I'm guessing that the hood is not 100% correct. As for the proper piece of trim, a normal 1970 Challenger trim piece should fit properly.

Dubs Chops

Reaction score
It doesnt, that is what I'm holding up. It does have a piece of trim because the hood has trim clip holes in it.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
I understand. I just realized that your car is a '74, right? When you say "the mounting holes are not the same as my hood," what do you mean? Are there more or less holes in the hood than in the trim? Do they not line up with the clips or screws in your trim piece? Did you buy a trim piece for a '74 with the screws?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
It's the hood. I had one on a Challenger I worked on. I had to pull the hood all the way forward. I then used duraglass to fill the coves on the hood to fit the fender lines.

Avalanche

Reaction score
I agree that the hood needs to be pulled forward until it's aligned with the fenders.
How does the hood line up with the fenders closest to the windshield?

Dubs Chops

Reaction score
I understand. I just realized that your car is a '74, right? When you say "the mounting holes are not the same as my hood," what do you mean? Are there more or less holes in the hood than in the trim? Do they not line up with the clips or screws in your trim piece? Did you buy a trim piece for a '74 with the screws?
in the picture you can see holes in the hood behind the piece of trim I am holding up. Those are for whatever trim this hood uses I am assuming.

Last edited:

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Those 6 holes on the top surface of the hood? I have no idea what they're for. Should only be holes in the leading edge for the trim...

Dubs Chops

Reaction score
Hmmm the body lines from the fenders line up perfect where it sets. I really think this thing has some sort of trim piece that goes there.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
You may be correct but without knowing which manufacturer made that hood and what their intentions were for those holes, we can only guess. No factory hood has 6 holes in those top locations and there is no factory trim piece that is built for that location that I'm aware of...

Dubs Chops

Reaction score
You may be correct but without knowing which manufacturer made that hood and what their intentions were for those holes, we can only guess. No factory hood has 6 holes in those top locations and there is no factory trim piece that is built for that location that I'm aware of...
I agree 100% not factory. I was just hoping someone would know what went on this hood lol.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I believe the 71 wide hood moulding uses holes like your hood has on the top of it. I haven't seen one off of a car in years.

71challrtbyrhoepker_1.jpg

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Good call challenger6pak - that might be it! I forgot all about that trim package. There's a complete NOS set on eBay right now for $2,250.00!!!

aussiemark

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, but when the wide trims are fitted to the fenders won't the hood trim still be too far back? Maybe if the wide trim is on the hood and standard trims on the fenders it will line up but that will look odd.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I have seen the wide trim added to a 73. It looks nice. You need all 3 pieces. If the glass hood is a little too short, the space can be taken up with the wide trim. The center piece is the most expensive and harded to find. It also has a factory design flaw that makes the center piece crack. The steel hood angle is slightly different and cause the stress crack if the moulding is tightened to the hood too much. Grady, $2,500 is crazy. It won't make a car worth $2,500 more.

Dubs Chops

Reaction score
Crap, anyone good with fiberglass? I'm not interested in running the special trim at all.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
I have seen the wide trim added to a 73. It looks nice. You need all 3 pieces. If the glass hood is a little too short, the space can be taken up with the wide trim. The center piece is the most expensive and harded to find. It also has a factory design flaw that makes the center piece crack. The steel hood angle is slightly different and cause the stress crack if the moulding is tightened to the hood too much. Grady, $2,500 is crazy. It won't make a car worth $2,500 more.

You got that right. Some of these people selling NOS parts are on crack....

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Will your engine not fit under a stock rallye hood? I'm thinking since that glass hood is already the wrong color than why not just put a stock hood on it?

Dubs Chops

Reaction score
Don't have a stock hood. Also wanting to lighten the car up as much as possible.

Back