• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How does one go about restoring Mopars?

RexDub

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for some information on Mopar Restoration, Or restorations in general. I'm looking for advice On how to start restorations, and I don't mean the process with the car itself I mean as far as education, and that type of stuff goes what Could I do to be ready for Mopar restoration, and possibly turn it into a career. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

- Rex

CudaKeith

Reaction score
Try finding local body shops that will do restorations. Most places now will only do insurance work, but if you look hard enough you can still find places that will do restorations. There is a place not far from me that is well known locally for their restoration work. Stop in and apply. I started out as a painter's helper with no skills or experience when I was in my teens. I was hired at a local Dodge dealership. I started out doing a lot of prep work, sanding, masking, stuff like that. I learned how to wet sand and buff. Eventually I was spraying jambs and the underside of hoods and deck lids. After about a year and a half, I was hired as a painter at a small company that built handicap conversion vans. I took advantage of as much training that I could. I went to night classes at a local college to learn to weld. The place where we bought our paint supplies offered free clinics sponsored by the paint companies. I became a pretty good painter and a decent body man. The actual welder and I even restored our boss' son's 55 Chevy. Opportunities are out there, you have to seek them out because no one is going to come to you and offer you a job.

burntorange70

Reaction score
A community college is a good place to try. Most have a good automotive program and are not all that much money.

RexDub

Reaction score
I'm still searching for a Body shop to work in, My cousin owns a restoration shop that I could probably get an apprentice position in, but the only thing is the relocation.. it's on the other side of Canada but I'm starting to think its worth it.. Thoughts?

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Just think about the fact that you would be laying the groundwork for the rest of your life.

68427vette

Reaction score
head to the oil fields and make some real money,, then buy a car done!! is my advice!!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
That works , hard life but the pay is good !! I spent last winter in the oilsands .
which part of Canada are you in , I moved east for a while & hated it there ?

Back