• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How much rust is too much

Martin

Reaction score
Working on some trunk rust issues on the Cuda. Got the whole floor and extensions out. Wheel wells can be patched. Question I have is on the tail panel. The bottom section is rough. There is some good metal under the rust, but back side around the taillight brackets is bad too. I hate to replace the whole panel, since 90 percent is good. But the bad part is what the trunk welds to. Hate to put time money and new metal to leave rust that reforms and destroys my work.

Options:
- sand blast the whole area, cut and weld patch metal in the worse areas, coat in rust inhibitor
- replace the whole panel which is $400

This is not a show car, but I do want it to be done as good as possible.

Thoughts and opinions?

IMG_6887.jpg

IMG_6886.jpg

rklein71

Reaction score
I had a similar situation with my speaker tray, would have had to spend 400 bucks for a new one. I choose to repair. The patch is not visible once installed and turned out nice. I think you could do the same thing with your tail panel. The crease above it adds considerable strength to the panel, so it won't easily warp. Once installed, the bumper will cover up the outside of the repair and you will be undercoating the inside. You can do it, spend 400 bucks elsewhere. Rod

IMG_1822.JPG

Adam

Reaction score
Go for it, you can’t hurt it at this point.
I would carefully cut out the rusty strip and use it to make a pattern, allowing for the thickness of the blade (pneumatic body saw would be great). Carefully tack in the patch and stitch it in back and forth to avoid too much heat/ warping.

KATSAAR

Reaction score
if you do decide to replace the taillight panel.
the good of doing that is you will be able to use a 1 piece trunk floor.

rklein71

Reaction score
if you do decide to replace the taillight panel.
the good of doing that is you will be able to use a 1 piece trunk floor.

I reused my old tail panel and had to do about half the rust repair you will need to do, maybe a 18 inch section along the bottom. KATSAAR is right, removing the tail panel will make putting in a one piece trunk floor possible.

Rod

IMG_3270.JPG

Martin

Reaction score
I am doing a one piece truck floor. I have not tried to test fit it yet. I had read another post of someone installing the one piece without removing the tail panel. I’ll have to try that today. Luckily the frame rails are in pretty good shape. Plan on cleaning them up good and coating the inside before putting the floor back in.

Good point on worst case is I have to buy the new one anyway.

Now just need the weather to corporate a little so I can get my blasting done.

jeff968

Reaction score
I would fix it. As noted, you don't see it so go for a good clean repair, don't worry so much about the aesthetics, fully prime and cover with seam sealer and paint and you should be good for life!

Adam

Reaction score
7CE4726F-F0F3-44BC-8DC9-62E8DBD63AF3.jpeg
You will have a tough time getting a one piece trunk pan to fit, been there, done that... I had to cut off the upper left corner and weld it back on. You could remove and repair the original tail panel, not too many spot welds, and it would give you easy access to everything.

340challconvert

Reaction score
View attachment 46215 You will have a tough time getting a one piece trunk pan to fit, been there, done that... I had to cut off the upper left corner and weld it back on. You could remove and repair the original tail panel, not too many spot welds, and it would give you easy access to everything.
Nice job with the trunk floor repair!
Dino2 (1).gif

73Machine

Reaction score
View attachment 46215 You will have a tough time getting a one piece trunk pan to fit, been there, done that... I had to cut off the upper left corner and weld it back on. You could remove and repair the original tail panel, not too many spot welds, and it would give you easy access to everything.

Looks great! Could you happen to tell me the measurements on the Fuel tank support to attach it to the trunk. I'm going in blind on mine. Thanks!!!

Adam

Reaction score
Yes, I will get the measurements late tomorrow; my car is in storage... but the support straps line up with the grooves in the gas tank. If you do not have a gas tank, you might want to get one to ensure it will fit before welding.

Adam

Reaction score
BE3D6BC6-92AB-4987-B8F3-77A360BE727A.jpeg

Here is the bottom of my original trunk floor, looking forward. (In the upper left corner) you can just see at the rear of the trunk pan where the braces line up with the sides of a ramp in the trunk floor. The grooves in my tank were wider than the support straps, so there was a small amount of side to side tank adjustment possible (maybe 1/2 inch). If you mock up your support braces in this location, and verify your tank fits, and the filler neck is centered in your gasshole you can’t go wrong.

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
63715F1D-1C15-48CA-8332-B4BBAB77F0BC.jpeg
Here is a better view of the ramp.. a Cuda has a similar, but different ramp. Any Cuda guys have the measurements?

Btw, I used an AMD trunk pan, fit was excellent.

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
Looks great! Could you happen to tell me the measurements on the Fuel tank support to attach it to the trunk. I'm going in blind on mine. Thanks!!!
My trunk braces are 9 & 1/8 inches apart, measured from the center of one to the center of the other.

73Machine

Reaction score
Thank you so much Adam!!! Just waiting on mine to show from yearone to install on the pan.

shakercuda

Reaction score
A thread about one piece trunk floor installation on another Mopar site years ago, showed that it is possible to install the pan with only cutting a section of the bumper panel out, install the trunk pan, then reweld the bumper panel. I hope this helps, I'll be doing mine this way soon.

4987522-0117.jpg

4987525-0118.jpg

4987531-0119.jpg

4987535-0136.jpg

4987570-0081.jpg

4987576-0121.jpg

Adam

Reaction score
Cool. I didn’t think it possible..

It also looks like they welded on the gas tank supports before installing the pan.

Martin

Reaction score
I went ahead and took the whole back end out. I blasted the tail pan and I think it’s destiny is to become a cool wall light in my game room. The tail light circles are full of holes and there was a shitty repair from so old damage hidden under a lot of mud.

image.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
I'm looking at doing the same thing. I am just about ready to cut out my trunk pan and am looking at my options; full pan, 1/2 pans welded at middle, and replacement of the trunk extensions. I think welding the gas tank braces in before would make the job easier, but I would need to weld in a full pan in order to do the repair that way.
My quarters are good except for small patches needed at the bottom. So my options are: cut out beneath the tail panel for a full pan install, possibly cut off he left corner of a full pan and re-weld after installing the full pan (like Adam did), or use the 1/2 trunk pans and weld the tank braces in later. These postings are helping me decide what to do.
Looking at what would work best for me?

Dino2 (1).gif

Cool. I didn’t think it possible..

It also looks like they welded on the gas tank supports before installing the pan.

IMG_2994.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

Last edited:
Back