• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Is this number one

Kato'

Reaction score
I recently picked up a matching numbers 1971 Cuda in good condition but needs restoring. I have been doing some Numbers research and it turns out the car was purchased at mackintosh Chrysler in Oshawa Ontario Canada. The bill date of the car was September 9 1970 . The fender tag has The “C” designation for Canadian export. This was the first week of production at Hamtrac. The car came new with a body coloured front grill which is not listed on the trim tag. According to the information I have found this also verified it was in the very first days of early production, because of the truck roll over carrying all the painted grills from Ontario had completely wiped out Plymouths inventory , it became an option. Signs are showing that this Cuda might be the first Cuda in Canada for 1971 and most likely the very first Cuda to leave the United States for the 1971 model year. The information I have been given is the order sequence number on the Vin does not represent the number of Cuda‘s bill but, represents the order of Plymouth that was produced at that plant. My question is how would I be able to verifyIf this car was number one to leave. Also would that add any value to the car? This is my first Mopar and I am learning. The most fun is searching history.

B476F0D6-7E61-4F4D-8BF6-0BDF5A2882CF.jpeg

moparleo

Reaction score
Like collecting baseball or other sports "rookie" cards. It is not necessarily how many cards they made but whether that athlete later became famous. So many variables and no records kept in great detail. Before the days of modern computers. Everything done on paper so no way to absolutely verify anything. Order dates and build dates do not always line up with actual shipment dates. Could of failed certain inspections during production and held back for redos or repairs, parts shortages etc...The only people who know which one was first was the guy who was there and saw it. No extra value anyway unless it was a unique build car like a low production, desirable, Hemi, six-barrel etc... Just a nice another Mopar. Enjoy it. Everything is different in hindsight. Who could know that only a handful of Hemi convertibles would be built and that 20 years after production would be worth 6-7 figures. Certainly not popular in the day or they would have built many more.

Kato'

Reaction score
I kind of figured it wouldn’t affect the value but it is fun searching this info out. I also am in the process of receiving the inventory sheet from mackintosh Chrysler of when the car was delivered to that dealer. Fun to know knowledge I guess. Thanks

Kato'

Reaction score
Oh yeah I forgot to mention this Cuda is a 383HP4 barrel one of 1168 produced, Not a hemi or a six pack, but still very rare.

moparleo

Reaction score
So are slant six 4 speeds but rare does not always mean valuable or desirable. Usually low production on the older cars means that at the time of production, that particular combination was not what was popular, at the time so very few were built/ordered.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I don;t have actual figures but typically the first cars were built in early Aug , by 1/3 of the way into Sept they were well into porduction , I have seen & have pictures of 70 Cuda 100001 for example , also in Canada .

Kato'

Reaction score
So are slant six 4 speeds but rare does not always mean valuable or desirable. Usually low production on the older cars means that at the time of production, that particular combination was not what was popular, at the time so very few were built/ordered.
you’re very right in most cases, but the Slant six four-speed isn’t a Cuda, but would’ve definitely be made into one by now. Cuda had a tough year in 1971 due to the insurance industry and the coming of the oil crisis. That is why the hemi 440&383 were discontinued the following year. In 71 there was only a total of around 5500 Cuda’s. The 383 HP was The most popular big block. And I totally understand that is due to economic reasons and not desirability.But it’s still a matching number big block with low production numbers which makes it rare and desirable.

Kato'

Reaction score
you’re very right in most cases, but the Slant six four-speed isn’t a Cuda, but would’ve definitely be made into one by now. Cuda had a tough year in 1971 due to the insurance industry and the coming of the oil crisis. That is why the hemi 440&383 were discontinued the following year. In 71 there was only a total of around 5500 Cuda’s. The 383 HP was The most popular big block. And I totally understand that is due to economic reasons and not desirability.But it’s still a matching number big block with low production numbers which makes it rare and desirable.

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My book says:
Barracuda Hdtp 9459 total
Barracuda Conv 1014
Gran Coupe 1615
Cuda Hdtp 6228
Convertible 374
As it often happens the numbers don't add up to the total.

Kato'

Reaction score
Here’s just a few samples from a variety of sources and they are very consistent with each other

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
And the point of all this is ?? It is sometimes fun to look up all those numbers for general information. You have a 71 'Cuda 383 . The second most produced model that year. The 340 and 383 were the most common and most dealer ordered models for their standard inventory. Great car. Like everything else in life, the actual value is in the eyes of the purchaser, and does not very often match the perceived value of the seller. Enjoy it. People throw the name " 'Cuda" around generically on every "Barracuda" that you see. The slant six analogy was not specifically aimed towards the " 'Cuda" model but that not all cars are automatically valuable based on low production numbers. Nice book quote on the gas crunch and insurance reasons for the general collapse of "gas guzzling" cars made by all manufacturers and not just the Chrysler Corporation. Curious though is that you could still get a 400 on most models up until 1978, which was based on the 383 over-bored on other models like the RoadRunner in 1972. I was driving a 392 Hem,i powered 55 F-100 that I transplanted into it back in 1970 then. It got 19 mpg when I wasn't showing off. The local Chrysler/Plymouth dealer had a Superbird on the lot for almost 2 years before it finally sold. Hindsight is 20/20 .

Last edited:

Kato'

Reaction score
Not sure where you’re coming from but being a long time muscle car enthusiasts of all makes and models it is absolute common knowledge that the 70 to 74 Batracuda we’re always the most desirable muscle cars of the pack. I have owned some of the coolest cars you could find. 67 tri-power Corvettes 70 GTO judge 67 Chevelle SS 69 Chevelle SS , 67 Camaro RsSs rag 4sp . Presently own a 69 Camaro RSSS convertible 4 gear. I have always been pursuing the elusive fish. Because of the low production numbers you never hardly saw one let alone find one to buy. Never met a single gearhead who did not consider the 70 to 71 Cuda the cream of the crop. That desirability!

benlavigne

Reaction score
I recently picked up a matching numbers 1971 Cuda in good condition but needs restoring. I have been doing some Numbers research and it turns out the car was purchased at mackintosh Chrysler in Oshawa Ontario Canada. The bill date of the car was September 9 1970 . The fender tag has The “C” designation for Canadian export. This was the first week of production at Hamtrac. The car came new with a body coloured front grill which is not listed on the trim tag. According to the information I have found this also verified it was in the very first days of early production, because of the truck roll over carrying all the painted grills from Ontario had completely wiped out Plymouths inventory , it became an option. Signs are showing that this Cuda might be the first Cuda in Canada for 1971 and most likely the very first Cuda to leave the United States for the 1971 model year. The information I have been given is the order sequence number on the Vin does not represent the number of Cuda‘s bill but, represents the order of Plymouth that was produced at that plant. My question is how would I be able to verifyIf this car was number one to leave. Also would that add any value to the car? This is my first Mopar and I am learning. The most fun is searching history.

View attachment 72775
Hello, There was a 71 340 'Cuda that was sold last week here in Quebec, with an SPD of 822, so there were others sold before...
Ben

Kato'

Reaction score
Yes,one, if I was looking for 69 Camaro I could find 100. There is also another one for sale in Ontario a 340. Asking price 120,000. I know I’m not buying that one! Anyways I find the most fun in the hobby is researching, building, and driving them. I drive my 69 Camaro everywhere to get milk beer whatever it’s fun to drive these cars they’re amazing! Hope your enjoying yours.

Kato'

Reaction score
Hello, There was a 71 340 'Cuda that was sold last week here in Quebec, with an SPD of 822, so there were others sold before...
Ben
Sorry did you say the car had a shipping date of August 22? And do you know if that was a Canadian car ?. Thanks ,This is all good information.

robert power

Reaction score
I never actually saw the 6 cylinder convertible numbers thanks for that.

340challconvert

Reaction score
The e body convertibles are beautiful and unique. They were only made for two years and have gotten more rare after 50 years.
Prices on the super rare verts with low production numbers; today, hemi's, 6 paks, are too rich for most "regular" car enthusiasts and end up in the hands of collectors or "investors".
I too have always been a performance car enthusiast and like multiple muscle cars, though Mopar e bodies are my personal favorites.
I was the Mopar guy when my brother was the Chevy man and we would bench or actually race each other back in the day. It got rough when he dropped a new long block LS 6 into his 69 Chevelle vs my 383 Challenger RT.

I also appreciate the 69 Camaro having owned one in the late 1970's. It was an SS RS 396 (325 hp version), 4 sp car with factory air in Lemans Blue and white interior. I bought it off the original owner who bought it after he returned from the service. It was a great car.
When I bought my first house in 1980, I needed the money and one of my cars had to go; my A66 Challenger vert or the 69 Camaro.
It was tough, but the Camaro went and I kept the Challenger till this day.

1971 Cudas today are hot among many Cuda fans and are actively sought out because of their uniqueness (grill, fender gills, dual headl lights) and seem to demand a premium price. Would love to see more pictures of yours! Best of luck with your new Cuda :steering:

Back