• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Jesse James from Kansas City 71 baracuda

JesseJames

Reaction score
My GY3. The lighting is not great, but I agree it's not greenish.

View attachment 99594
I love your color. and i wish i could have mine exactly like that. its just sometimes Curious comes out green? have you not seen the green before

Curious Yellow.jpg

Steve340

Reaction score
When Citron Yella is mixed right and sprayed out on a car it is a very bright clean colour. I really like the colour.
There is definitely a reason it was in the High Impact range of factory colours.
I believe it is one of the rarest High Impact colours since it was only available in 1971.
A Curious Yellow Cuda is not going to get lost in the crowd.
Top Banana is a pretty accurate description of what that particular colour sprays out like from the cars I have seen.
Most automotive paints are a mix of tints so they need to mix it right to get the correct shade when sprayed out.
GY3 does have a hint of green or black in it but it is mostly a bright yellow - this is my bumbling description.
Black billboards or strips really set it off IMO.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
No, i am leaving it all yellow, going with billboard. i got the louvers from Dales Cuda Shop.
Just asking since all Cudas with the A67 factory louvers required a black vinyl top. Challengers did not require the vinyl top to get louvers. The louvers fit the Challenger rear window shape much better than the Cuda so the vinyl top helps with "blending" in the shape to the Cuda roof.
It's your call if you like the louvers without the vinyl top. Something to think about.

71_Barracuda Data Book Codes for Backlight Louver Package A67.jpg

Yellow Cuda with Louvers.jpg

JesseJames

Reaction score
got ya, thanks for that. i do really like louvers without vinyl. Do you think maybe a soft weather stripping material might be in order. something to kind of help the two surfaces come together?

JesseJames

Reaction score
When Citron Yella is mixed right and sprayed out on a car it is a very bright clean colour. I really like the colour.
There is definitely a reason it was in the High Impact range of factory colours.
I believe it is one of the rarest High Impact colours since it was only available in 1971.
A Curious Yellow Cuda is not going to get lost in the crowd.
Top Banana is a pretty accurate description of what that particular colour sprays out like from the cars I have seen.
Most automotive paints are a mix of tints so they need to mix it right to get the correct shade when sprayed out.
GY3 does have a hint of green or black in it but it is mostly a bright yellow - this is my bumbling description.
Black billboards or strips really set it off IMO.
Steve 340, I can tell you know it very well. I am also a fan of it in "some lights" But i just really dislike lime green and when i see the green it turns me off. Do you have any advise for me trying to get paint code for curious yellow without the green. basically just a bright yellow that closely resembles the mopar family. i am not a purist and have to have it exactly original. Like some others had mentioned Viper Yellow? is that pretty close?

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
got ya, thanks for that. i do really like louvers without vinyl. Do you think maybe a soft weather stripping material might be in order. something to kind of help the two surfaces come together?
The louvers come with a one-piece rubber strip which isolates the surfaces that touch the body. This strip goes from one "corner tip" to the other.

Cuda louver 2.jpg
71 Cuda Louvers no Vinyl.jpg

Cuda louver 3.jpg

Steve340

Reaction score
The best idea for finding a paint colour is to look at a newer car that has a colour you like and get the paint code.
This is the safest way as you see what the colour is like sprayed out on panels/different lights etc.
Good luck and post up what you decide on. Steve

JesseJames

Reaction score

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I do not have a copy of the installation instructions for the louvers. Anybody else got them?
This guy is a character but does some pretty good Cuda assembly videos. His name is Buzz Jones and he installs a set of louvers in this video called Barracuda/Cuda Rear Window Louvers 1970-1974.
This is a one trick pony.If you have them post em for him. the more information the better. That way he is not using Buzz's catch phrase. I F**KED UP!!!

Steve340

Reaction score
I watched the video and Buzz does it the same way I would have done it except for - I would have used rivnuts for the top fasteners like the factory does. I believe the factory fasteners are 10-24 X 3/4 long.
This allows you to take the louvre off without messing with the headliner and the inner window trim.

JesseJames

Reaction score
I watched the video and Buzz does it the same way I would have done it except for - I would have used rivnuts for the top fasteners like the factory does. I believe the factory fasteners are 10-24 X 3/4 long.
This allows you to take the louvre off without messing with the headliner and the inner window trim.
I was thinking that too, but don't you think it would be better to put rivnuts in the support instead of the roof? in the video he cut big holes in the support so he could fit his socket through the support. to me you want to fasten to that support?
1669749651790.png

Steve340

Reaction score
I have a Challenger with factory louvers and they only mount to the roof skin sheet metal. Perfectly OK.
The rivnuts are short and only designed to pull up on thin sheet metal/panel steel.
Be very careful when you drill the final rivnuts size hole. Use the correct drill - if you make these holes too big the rivnut will not pull tight.
Drill a pilot hole and then carefully drill out to the recommended size for the rivnut.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Did you settle on a color?

Y-1 got the Y right lol
This bring something to mind. A few weeks or months ago. someone was asking about a yellow on an other members Cuda I think. I think it was mentioned it was a Viper color. Someone I think wanted a yellow like the Top Banana but the one they were looking at was a brighter yellow. When closing the page,Just happened to see the Colt 021 bright yellow out of the corner of my eye. I wonder if that was it? I'll have to go back and look. ALL this is just thinking out loud. Thanks LOL!

1973 Dodge paint 1.png

Last edited:

JesseJames

Reaction score
Did you settle on a color?

This bring something to mind. A few weeks or months ago. someone was asking about a yellow on an other members cuda I think. I think it was mentioned it was a Viper color. Someone I think wanted a yellow like the Top Banana but the on they were looking at was a brighter yellow. Whn closeing the page,Just happened to see the Colt 021 bright yellow out of the corner of my eye. I wonder if that was it? I'll have to go back and look. ALL this is just thinking out loud. Thanks LOL!

View attachment 101663
Yea, its not even a car color, just one i picked out of the book
i did 4 samles. the one liked in the book, original Lemon Twist, Viper, corvette
you can't even tell in pictures, but in real life the one i picked out of the book is very Clean. no green. resembles original yellow (to the untrained eye)

1674661137565.png

Back