• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Leaf Spring P/N's relative to the physical location on the car.

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
Gentlemen, and ladies if there are any on this forum - my question is concerning the orientation of the leaf springs on the car.

I have a '70 Challenger R/T SE that I've been driving and wrenching on for quite some time now. Prior to my ownership someone installed a set of MP XHD leaf springs on the rear, I happened to notice the P/N's one time when I was under the car working on something entirely different than the rear suspension. Of course, being me I had to check my reference books just to verify what they had done. Well, this is where the problem comes in. My interpretation of the P/N's is that the '985 spring should be on the driver's side and the '984 belongs on the passenger side. Of course this is totally opposite of the way the previous owner installed the springs.

Now, as far as street driving is concerned, I do NOT notice any problems nor does the car appear to sit improperly. Perhaps if I raced the car I might notice the car squatting more than it should on one side or the other, but I don't race it and probably never will. The problem is that I "think" the springs are reversed side to side, and that is what bothers me about it.

So, with Mopar's XHD leaf springs, P/N P4452984 (Right) and P/N P4452985 (Left) which one is Driver's side and which one is Passenger side?

Thanks in advance.

XHD Leaf Springs.jpg

XHD Leaf Springs.jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
They call right and left as if you were sitting in the drivers seat facing the front of the car. Right = Passenger side and Left = Drivers side. You are correct in your interpretation.

Last edited:

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
That's exactly what I thought. So, this means they ARE installed on the wrong sides. Is there a benefit to be gained by switching them back to the correct positions? And is that benefit worth the trouble and effort to move them?

After looking them over more closely, they both appear to be 5 1/2 leaves each. The difference is the 1/2 leaf is to the forward segment on one spring and to the rear segment on the other spring.

Adam

Reaction score
My original 71 Chally R/T had an extra 1/2 leaf on the driver's side, facing forward.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The extra half leaf controls the car from following the engine torque to one side under hard acceleration. I wouldn't say it hurts your car the way it is. It just doesn't take advantage of the suspension you have. If it were my car, I would switch the springs to where they should be.

Bill

Reaction score
I guess the previous owner had a 50/50 chance of getting it right. (lol)

moparlee

Reaction score
I read somewhere several years ago that when there are R and L parts, the R hand parts end in an even number and the L ones end in an odd number. I have since confirmed this on all of the parts which I have checked. Has anyone else noticed this?

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
I read somewhere several years ago that when there are R and L parts, the R hand parts end in an even number and the L ones end in an odd number. I have since confirmed this on all of the parts which I have checked. Has anyone else noticed this?

I believe you are correct on this, I have heard the same thing.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
This is confirmed true Left is Always the odd # Right is even , if there is only one part on the car it will have an even #

Mike73Dodge

Reaction score
Even adn Odd part numbers

I agree. I have found that Odd number part are Left side and Even number parts are right side. This is also true in the aircraft part numbers. Interesting that if only one part is used for cars it wil be even. In airplanes if only one is used it will be Odd.

Back