• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Leaf spring similarity left to right

Mike73Dodge

Reaction score
Advice needed.

I have a 73 Challenger currently going through a full restoration. Originally it came with the standard leaf springs. Due to the HP increase and sag of the original springs I recently bought some reproduction heaver duty leaf springs. My original springs are identical left to right. The new heavy duty springs are quite different left to right. The curve of the spring aft of the axle connection is different, the length and position of the individual leafs is also different.
Does anyone know if they should be identical (like the original lighter duty) OR different due to some reason like frame twist under high load?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
they are made different for the higher torque of bigger engines , with extra 1/2 leafs on the right side .
If these are Mopar spring you may find they sag very quickly , probably a couple of weeks or so , I have had to add 1 extra full leaf under the main to maintain the ride height

Adam

Reaction score
What brand are they, does the arch match? My original springs had an extra leaf on one side, but my replacement springs from Espo were the same.

BTW, Espo springs will make springs with 1 or 2 inches over stock height. I went 1" over and really like the stance. I agree Challengers sit too low in back.

IMG_2914.jpg

Last edited:

70Hardtop

Reaction score
I don't agree that Challengers sit too low in the back. I think they look great when the ride height is uniform from front to back, and the height is about one inch lower than stock all 'round. I laugh when I see so many Yanks with their Chals jacked up high with the arse (you spell it ass) in the air. It looks so ridiculous and uncool and takes away the low, ground-hugging look of the body. Heaven knows what it would do to cornering ability.

Back