• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Lower shift rod leaking at tranny - 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T - A-833 4 speed manual

Coloradotim

Reaction score
I'm not a transmission guy so any help would be appreciated! I notice a small drip from my transmission when cold in the garage. The leak is originating from the arm at the point the lower rod, reverse, connects to the transmission. The linkage does not include a column lock set up. I hope the pictures help. I have no history with the transmission. I purchased the car as a restoration project and was told the transmission was fine.
Any ideas? Thanks! Tim

Tranny Leak 1.jpg

Tranny Leak 2.jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
It has been a while, but IIRC there is an O ring seal there. The cover has to come off and other parts may need to come out of the trans to get to it. Probably easier to do on a bench; not in a car.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It depends which 833 you have all use an O ring to seal but the regular 4 spds do have an O ring , the bad news is it is basically the first part that is installed so the entire trans has to be disassembled to get to it & you will need some kind of special tool to load the countershaft into the case while holding all the roller brgs in place when putting it back together .
If you have the later A833 OD the seal is replacable by removing the shift lever & nylon support ring & hooking the seal out , this can be done in car without removing any other parts

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
usually the OD version is alum but not always , if both the 1-2 & 3-4 shift levers are upward fromt he pivot you have a regular version not the OD

Back