• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Mopar vs Chevy??

JH27N0B

Reaction score
That ad has to be a scam. It looks like the Challenger RT/SE that was sold at a Mecum auction around 5 years ago for 78K that became a bit of a hot potato because it turned out someone had restamped the block to try to make it matching #s. It was a real V code car and a dealer demo with a lot of interesting options, but the restamp made it something no wanted to touch.
Last I heard of that car, one of the brokerages was listing it and saying it was NOM but that was a while back.
Whatever the case, no one would be selling it for 12K even if it was a bad clone let alone a real 440-6 car.
And the seller is listed as being in the Florida Keys, those pictures aren't anywhere near Florida!

S-S-P

Reaction score
FIRST OF ALL I KNOW THIS IS A MOPAR SITE!!! BUT BE HONEST!!

What's up need an Honest opinion , I Love Mopars (70-73 Challenger, 68-70 Charger) but also love the 67-69 Camaro ,69-71 Chevelle , Wondering since i'm looking to get one of these soon, all these cars i stated are my favorite Muscle cars, which one would BE better (Performance,Look,Quality,etc.)and WHY??

CHALLENGER-Looks good

CHARGER-Looks good, Love the Hiding Head lights grill, Looks Real Beasty

CAMARO-Faster, Best looking Muscle car, Front hiding headlights,Lighter, Beasty

Chevelle-Fast, Looks good, 1 of the best all time

WHAT"D you Guys say??

Camaro faster? Explain that. Which 67-69 Camaro is faster than a hemi?

As far as best looking; I think the 70-74 Cuda and even Challenger is pretty much the pinnacle of American Muscle Design.

So much that today, 40 years later, they re-made an E-body design. The modern Camaros (and Mustangs) do not look like the originals.

a440plus6

Reaction score
Camaro faster? Explain that. Which 67-69 Camaro is faster than a hemi?

As far as best looking; I think the 70-74 Cuda and even Challenger is pretty much the pinnacle of American Muscle Design.

So much that today, 40 years later, they re-made an E-body design. The modern Camaros (and Mustangs) do not look like the originals.

COPO Camaros.....here's a link to some info
http://www.supercars.net/cars/4159.html

Rob C

Reaction score
COPO Chevy cars are rare, like a real HEMI car is, maybe even more so.

The bottom line is to get the car you want and do not cave in until you get the car you want because otherwise, you have settled on something less than what you wanted in the first place and you will always regret settling.

When it comes to going fast, the bottom line in doing so is just 2 things;

1. throw cubic dollars at the problem.

2. Design. The MoPar engine has advantages over the Chevy engine, just as the Chevy engine has advantages over the MoPar engine.

The Chevy advantage is CHEAP! Parts are CHEAP! Get them at Walmart, 7-11, Dan's card shop.

Then ask yourself, why is it the Chevy camp is constantly upgrading there engines with design features of the MoPar engines. Take a good look. Seriously, take a good look through out history and notice that in many many cases, MoPar did it first.

How about them upgraded Chevy heads for them boy's looking to hit it hard. (HP Levels) There upgrade is 1. Rockers on a shaft, stock to MoPars, 2. 18* heads, stock on a MoPar, larger lifter bores, stock on a MoPar, better blocks to race with that have a higher nickel content for strength, stock on MoPars? YEP! You bet. Our stock blocks have more nickel and withstand more power than the Chevy race blocks. Then they go for longer rods. There norm is a 5.7 and ours are a 6.123, which is longer than there long rod.

The Chevy has been seen using our tranny's and 8-3/4 rears, our leaf springs. The list just goes on and on.

IF there so good, then why copy what they think, the masses of the other camps call, "Inferior?"

IF you really want a MoPar in your garage, then just sit tight and save up.

JP_Allison

Reaction score
LOL ..That's the way Rumblefish360 ... Kick em in the groin. I love how everyone wants to list the COPO equipment as some kind of standard when it was anything but standard and then conveniently leave out a34 cars. Regular people look at it as ....250 six against the slant 6, 307 against the 318, 350 against the 340, 396/402 against the 383, and to round it all out .. the 440 against the 454

Last edited:

TinCuda

Reaction score
If you want something just to hotrod around in, get a 1986 mustang and dump some money in the engine.

If you want a real classic car that people will be impressed with, get a mopar.

You know what, on second thought, if you really need to ask, you probably should just buy a camaro.

Last edited:

TinCuda

Reaction score
If you want something just to hotrod around in, get a 1986 mustang and dump some money in the engine.

If you want a real classic car that people will be impressed with, get a mopar.

You know what, on second thought, if you really need to ask, you probably should just buy a camaro.

I have thought this over and my words might have been a little harsh. For that I apologize.

It is hard to put into words the love affair that I have had my whole life for mopars.

I admit that when I was a kid looking for my first car, I too was looking at the 68/69 camaros. All the old muscle cars where cheap back then.

Once I discovered mopars and my 1971 'Cuda, I never looked back.

Most people, then and now, look at price tags. Mopars have always cost more so there where fewer made. They are the better cars any way you shake it except cost.

Camaro and mustang guys are always trying to explain why their cars are better. I have never had anyone ask me why I got my 'Cuda.

Think about that long and hard and make up your own mind.

Mopar guys are not elitists, but they are an elite group.

Just my humble opinion.

Last edited:

Rob C

Reaction score
Thanks Fella's. On today's engines, it is hard to argue with a GM/Chevy guy with there cheap parts. I'm not say garbage parts, just inexpensive.

A new set of GM LS3 heads CNC'd from there performance parts desk, GMPP, (Same as Mopar Performance) can be purchased @ around $900 a head and it will flow 340/247 @ .500 / 370/262 @ .700, 2.16/1.6 valves.
(Do we have a small block head that will do this, unported? Crap! MoPar's offering of there Chapman Stage 6 head CNC'd is around that $2500 bare!)

I'm not sure what today's HEMI heads go for, but I'd like comparative numbers to look at.

These are today's heads on today's engines, a far cry from our muscle cars of over 40 years of age. To hard to compare. I laff at the guys that have these cars and try to point a finger at mine with a taunt. I have to stop and school these fools and laff in there face's that "Ya think! With 40 years of tech behind what you got, you'd have something better."

Of course, this starts the ball rolling. (LOL) to a eh-hem, lively debate.

I slyly curve the issue to a match up of heads in the Pro Stock venue. (HUH!?) Yes, that direction! (HUH!)
Think about it. MoPar backed out of NASCAR for a long time and came back into NASCAR and stood toe to toe and then, THEN bested the other boys who never left. In a short time of R&D, we (MoPar) step up to the plate, knock a home run in and hand you guys a paste - ing (SP!?) like no bodies biz.

And the best parts is, these engines are limited to a 9.0-1 ratio and still make more power than your Camaro.
(Enter a gaggle of MoPar guys laffin there arse's off pointing to the GM guys while walking away. It is a great site to see them jaw dropped and silent.)

Just for giggles, click this link, it is a picture of a LS3 head, tell me, take a good look before you answer, what does this head look like, look good, does this remind you of anything????? Something you may have seen before?????
Something like a Pro Stock head made for the street maybe??????
Maybe like, something in a book you have on a shelf?
A twisted mix of something?????

LOL
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_arti...7-part-3-inside-the-gm-ls3-cylinder-head.aspx

The Chevy/GM guys have it good these days, even better than yesteryear, food for thought link to click; http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/...ctangle_port_cylinder_heads_test/viewall.html

Last edited:

Rob C

Reaction score

What's up need an Honest opinion , I Love Mopars (70-73 Challenger, 68-70 Charger) but also love the 67-69 Camaro ,69-71 Chevelle ,

WHAT"D you Guys say??

Big, I'm coming back to you.

In all honest opinions here, if ya love the car, save for the car.

Out of the Chevy offerings, all YOU gotta do is like it.
Settle not!
is my motto IF you can apply it. (Lets face it, sometimes we have to settle, but why settle on your toy?)

IF you decide to do a Chevy, you might as well drop in a modern engine.

All in all, when you start doing things like this, no matter what car company it is, no matter what age it is, it is first and foremost going to cost a lot of money, so be happy in what you get and get what you want.
No one here will fault you, but a hundred thousand razz-berries may be heard from across the country... LOL!

Reaction score

What's up need an Honest opinion , I Love Mopars (70-73 Challenger, 68-70 Charger) but also love the 67-69 Camaro ,69-71 Chevelle , Wondering since i'm looking to get one of these soon, all these cars i stated are my favorite Muscle cars, which one would BE better (Performance,Look,Quality,etc.)and WHY??

CHALLENGER-Looks good

CHARGER-Looks good, Love the Hiding Head lights grill, Looks Real Beasty

CAMARO-Faster, Best looking Muscle car, Front hiding headlights,Lighter, Beasty

Chevelle-Fast, Looks good, 1 of the best all time

WHAT"D you Guys say??

Ok, I'm a new guy here; but Chrysler motor oil is in my blood and always has been without any doubts, for that I make no apologies....but the question was asked. Here is the honest answer with no dilution.

Go with the MOPAR
WHY-
In my opinion Chevies are banal, they are mundane, you see a beater camaro in EVERY 16 yr olds garage or a beater chevell in some aging 65 yr old baby boomer's garage. Throw in a couple vettes now and then and what you have are legions of bow-tie this and heartbeat of america that. They are everywhere. Similarly, GM parts can be had anywhere from anyone at anytime. You can go into your local supermarket and buy big block chevy parts along side that giant box of Cheerios. The pharmacists here at CVS drugs sells 327 small block aluminum intake manifolds along side the Geritol pills. They are common as common can commonly get in the most common of common ways. Heritage? Elite? Special? Me thinks not. GM cars start, run and sound like, well GM cars. Hearing a GM big block turning over is like hearing a car alarm in a mall parking lot, no one (yawn) pays any mind to that….”oh dear, don't mind that, it’s just another chevy rat motor on its path to mass destruction, spitting pistons and oil everywhere”, just watch your step.

and FMC makes good farm tractors, but this is not about farming.

Chryslers (MOPAR) are a totally different breed of auto insomuch as you don't just drive mopar, you live it, you ARE mopar. You are a Chrysler head through and through. Not only can you speak about obvious gear head stuff you are AND WANT to learn more about other Chrysler details and cars: A,B,C,E and so on body styles (and their designers: V. Ex, K. T. Keller, Engel, even Creed). You revel in talking about the exploits of Chrysler factory racers (S&M, Dandy Dick Landy,the KING). Modern and legendary drag racers, street racers, old Gassers, even military iron that Chrysler produced for the WWII war effort. You want to talk about everything Chrysler/MOPAR all day long;..it is in your blood. Last but no least, nothing in this entire world sounds better than the distinct "whine" of MOPAR gear reduction starter...and then the subsequent roar of a MOPAR big block coming to life. It will make you feel small, puny and insignificant every time. That sound, smell, and feeling is just flat out hair raising. I would take a lowly slant six 1960 Dodge Dart stripper w/ no heat, a bench seat, no power steering with roll down windows and 3 on the tree to a GM "hard core" big block any day (and I bet could get the slant 6 to run faster too).

There is "something" about owning a MOPAR...ANY Mopar that cannot be put in simple words. So my humble AND friendly advice would be to go with the Mopar...and be proud of yourself in the morning.

Rob C

Reaction score
LOL ..That's the way Rumblefish360 ... Kick em in the groin. I love how everyone wants to list the COPO equipment as some kind of standard when it was anything but standard and then conveniently leave out a34 cars. Regular people look at it as ....250 six against the slant 6, 307 against the 318, 350 against the 340, 396/402 against the 383, and to round it all out .. the 440 against the 454

That is the biggest problem today. Idiot's use odd ball rare or seldom done or one off things as a comparative point and try to grind you nose into it as if it was a normal affordable thing for everyone to have.

When you are comparing muscle cars to muscle cars, lets not get a thing or to confused.

Today's NEW wave of muscle cars are awesome, no doubt.
Lets stick with the ones we love. There way cooler anyway!

And YEA! WTF is it with that crap. OH! COPO this and COPO that, and HEY, shove it up your ass, I could do the same with, HEMI dart this and HEMI Cuda that and OH, by the way, if your engines and/or COPO's are so freaking great.. why is it that the HEMI's are the only ones worth racing in the big boy section?
Lets start here! http://cms.nhra.com/2001/news/August/083104.html

I have noticed, that when the comparative size engines are next to each other and have as close to a similar build as possible, apples to apples as close as possible, I have come to the conclusion that the MoPar engine makes the best power and torque for the given sizes.

318 vs. 327,
(The 307/305 is a lump and not worth mentioning unless your calling it a lump and not worth mentioning)
340 vs 350, 383 vs 396, 440 vs 454.
The MoPar engine is a better deal from jump street. The price of performance parts for us are more expensive in some area's. Intake, heads, headers sometimes, (build dependent headers, cheapies need not apply here.) Paying a little extra is not a big deal to me, just being raked over the coals hurts.

I started an interesting thread over @ FABO on this idea/topic.
How fast can /did you go with unported heads?
It should help a few guys get going quick if they find a build to suite there taste and car.

I know a few 360 small blocks running low 12's high 11's with stock heads. It helps that there in a "A" body and sometimes, just a bit lightened up.
Join up and post a combo there if ya can, just remember, heads must be as cast, NO porting.

You'll see, it can be done without getting stupid with expense's.

Click it ---> http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=165040

Rob C

Reaction score
My partial answer to any COPO fool, stick this in your arse! How many Chevy's showed up? LOL NONE!
There, have another kick in the balls.

One would think that with the advent of the GT classes, these non-aero 32-year-old dinosaurs would disappear. Indeed, Chrysler engineers Dick Maxwell and Tom Hoover have stated that NHRA never forgave them for building the cars. Based on the number of entries at Indy this year and the cars' continued appeal to spectators, even detractors have to agree that the 1968 "A-Bombs" will be with us for a long time to come.

For those of you who might not know, the SS/AA cars were originally constructed by Hurst for Chrysler in 1968 using 426 Race Hemi engines in the small A-body Plymouth Barracuda and Dodge Dart. Rare today, clones make up a majority of the cars competing in the class. They are the quickest of the pure Super Stock entries in NHRA or IHRA competition, noted for their high wheelstands, and represented the largest class of Sportsman cars by far at this year's event.

100ssaadro.jpg

a440plus6

Reaction score

That's my point if you bothered to read the link....anything Chevy or Ford had to offer back then like the COPOs, Baldwin Motion or other "Specialty" cars.....that's exactacly what they were....and had to do to beat the "Stock" assembly line Mopars.
Just like dealers like Mr. Norms built some specialty cars for Mopar peeps that Chrysler prolly should have built for the public.
Only brand x cars I can remember in stock showroom trim that the Hemi and 6BBLS had problems with was the Buick GS 455s and the Olds 455 442s.

ef8aar

Reaction score
I've owned close to 30 musclecars... Recently I bought a '69 z/28 with the 302 mouse because ever since high school I thought they were cool. Well, I can tell you, of all the close to 30 cars I've owned, in terms of flat out performance, THAT car was the most overrated and disapointing car of all. I didn't even get 300 miles on it and I sold it. My stock 340 runs circles around that car.

Rob C

Reaction score
Welcome aboard ef8. That 302 Chevy engine was just a holomgated set up for the SCCA race game the big 3 were getting into. That engine won't do nothing unless you rev'd it to the moon and had the like factory set up. Gear, stall, etc...

Lots of HP, no torque.

Ray

Reaction score
Welcome aboard ef8. That 302 Chevy engine was just a holomgated set up for the SCCA race game the big 3 were getting into. That engine won't do nothing unless you rev'd it to the moon and had the like factory set up. Gear, stall, etc...

Lots of HP, no torque.

No stall orginal 302 cars where 4 speed only.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
That's it, I'm sold! I'm trading in all my all my chevys and fords for....Wait a minute, all I have are MOPARS!

Back