• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Most Delicate Way to Remove Hood Popup Spring?

Odin

Reaction score
Dumb question, but what is the best way to remove the hood popup spring without destroying the paint around it? I bought my 70 Barracuda with a good Moulin Rouge paint job already in place. It has a YearOne fiberglass AAR hood which warps badly in part because the hood popup spring is constantly pushing up in the center. I started trying to remove the spring but caused a couple chips in the paint and decided to stop trying until i can consult the experts here. What say you?

2019-04-10 029.JPG

2019-04-10 088.JPG

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I used a hooked rod and pulled it off. remember to catch weight of hood if still on.And used vise grips. 1st picture used 16 washers and floor jack to put hood hinge spring back on.I had an after thought of open hood a little bit,spring would be expanded.place a washer and slide a rod or screw driver through each washer. when you put it back on and close the hood they fall out like loose change.
Did the same for the clutch spring.
20201005_152428.jpg

20190329_002.jpg

Last edited:

Bstoker87

Reaction score
I used a 18" adjustable wrench, put the hook of the spring into the hole in the handle of the wrench, kinda like doing the springs in drum brakes.

Odin

Reaction score
I used a hooked rod and pulled it off. remember to catch weight of hood if still on.And used vise grips. 1st picture used 16 washers and floor jack to put hood hinge spring back on.I had an after thought of open hood a little bit,spring would be expanded.place a washer and slide a rod or screw driver through each washer. when you put it back on and close the hood they fall out like loose change.
Did the same for the clutch spring.
View attachment 95955

View attachment 95956
these are great photos and I appreciate the response. However, I am referring to the popup spring near the hood latch, not the hood lift springs at the hinges.

Odin

Reaction score
I used a 18" adjustable wrench, put the hook of the spring into the hole in the handle of the wrench, kinda like doing the springs in drum brakes.
Are you referring to the spring next to the latch or the springs on the hinges?

Bstoker87

Reaction score
Are you referring to the spring next to the latch or the springs on the hinges?
I read it wrong, the hinges, I'm actually wondering if i need the spring your talking about with the VFN T/A style hood i purchased being it's fiberglass.

Odin

Reaction score
this is the spring I want to remove without damaging the paint further.

Attachments

• 2019-04-10 088 1.JPG
    2019-04-10 088 1.JPG
    997.5 KB · Views: 99

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Yeah my bad.thinking of the hard thing to do.I do not see or know of any way of doing that with out flaking the paint. There is a technique I use for save paint or clear finish.Use a razor blade or knife and cut the paint.You might minimize damage.Is the paint original paint.Spring being painted?

Odin

Reaction score
Yeah my bad.thinking of the hard thing to do.I do not see or know of any way of doing that with out flaking the paint. There is a technique I use for save paint or clear finish.Use a razor blade or knife and cut the paint.You might minimize damage.Is the paint original paint.Spring being painted?
Not original paint, but a good paint job which I hate to damage, especially because the damage will be VERY apparent with the hood open at shows etc.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Look down inside the spring to see the tab. you may need a dab of paint on the tab when done. Why dose the spring have to come off?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
There is a cap that fits on top of the spring to keep the spring from damaging the hood.I think it is an antifreeze cap. Some one may know for sure. maybe someone here can answer that.

Odin

Reaction score
There is a cap that fits on top of the spring to keep the spring from damaging the hood.I think it is an antifreeze cap. Some one may know for sure. maybe someone here can answer that.
I like that idea, but I think just the current spring pressure alone is warping the hood. The top of the spring is only causing minor damage to the under side of the hood. I could deal with that if it didn't warp.

Steve340

Reaction score
Due to the design I don't think you will do it without taking some paint off.
Bend the little tab up and go.
Pencil touch with a small brush.

Odin

Reaction score
Due to the design I don't think you will do it without taking some paint off.
Bend the little tab up and go.
Pencil touch with a small brush.
This is the only way I could think of doing it, but wondered if there was some awesome hack that I was unaware of. Even bending the tab without slipping and scratching the paint seems VERY difficult. Am I overthinking it? The first couple attempts led me to believe all parts including the tab were very rigid and would not bend easily.

Odin

Reaction score
Ok got it.zip tie the spring. Or make up a washers bolt and nut to draw the spring down, then remove at the show.
That is at least an idea that will reduce the overall tension pushing up on the hood. It may be the second best alternative to removing the spring altogether. Thanks.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Put emblem tape on the bottom of spring or something like that,to reinstall without marking when taking on and off for show.If that be the case. never over thinking when,would of should of could of.

Katfish

Reaction score
Use an angle grinder to cut off the 1st couple of spring windings at top, then touch up.

Back