• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

MY Challenger MY way!

jbearden

Reaction score
I figured it was time to start rebuilding my Challenger.It's a 1970 383 2 bbl auto and left the factory 8-69 in B5 with a B5 interior and a white vinyl top.I've owned the car for 2 1/2 years and figured now is the time to do it.I have known about the car for 30 plus years.It was my uncle's car that he traded to my dad for a 69 Barracuda race car.I ended up buying the car from my dad.It has been a Texas car since new so I knew the floors and body would be in great shape.I don't believe the car is anything rare or anything that needs to be returned to factory stock.Like the title says it's going to be built MY way.So far the only body panels that I need to order are a passenger side quarter,roof skin(damn goats!) and a brace.It will be loaded up and taken to be media blasted on my next little bit of time off.While it's there we'll weld in the U.S. Car Tool chassis stiffening kit and wheel tub kit and replace the bad quarter and roof.

20140718_135559.jpg

20140718_135457.jpg

20140718_134109.jpg

20140718_134100.jpg

20140718_132416.jpg

20140718_132355.jpg

20140719_121124.jpg

20140718_132332.jpg

Last edited:

jbearden

Reaction score
This is my plan for it,but add a shaker and drop a 6 pack in it.
70 Challenger.jpg

70 Challenger.jpg

Bill

Reaction score
"Start spreading the news".....
Looks like it's in great shape! Good luck. What part of the country are you in?

jbearden

Reaction score
West Texas.Nevada.Here and there and everywhere in between.Just depends what's going on where.I do directional work in the oilfield for a living so I spend most of my time in Texas.If I'm not at the rig or turning wrenches in the driveway you can usually find me in the Bellagio poker room.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
It looks to be a really solid starting point, you lucked out in that respect. The black and red is a killer combo on a Challenger.

jbearden

Reaction score
Thanks guys!I'll keep everyone updated on every aspect of the build.Due to my job I stay away from home for about 2 months straight and then have 2-3 weeks off to do whatever I need to do.Unfortunately my hands will not be getting as dirty as I would like,but I will be sure to make it clear that anytime something is done to the car (media blaster,panel replacement,body work/paint,interior,etc) that pics are emailed to me.There is a date in my mind that I would like see the car finished,but I don't want to say it out loud and jinx anything just yet.I would like for the car to be blasted next month and ready for paint by fall.I've actually made the rounds to all the local wrecking yards as well and left my number with them in case a totaled Hellcat turns up.We might just ditch the 440-6 idea and go another route.

On another note,I received an email from U.S. Car Tool today about their mini tub kit for E bodies.They are in the works,but no date has been set as to when they're coming out.We might just fab our own with some sheet metal while it's on the rotisserie.

Bill

Reaction score
When I got my project I was thinking one year maybe two to get it on the road (AKA finished). It's been just over two years and I still do not have it painted and I'm fine with that because I am making progress. I'm hoping to get it painted within the next few weeks. Everyone asks "when you gonna have it finished". I stopped answering that question. Work, family, doctor wants me to make sure I exercise, house work, garden.... get in the way sometimes. Wouldn't want it any other way. Good luck with your project! Oh, and for some reason I have a feeling that unfortunately there will be an abundance of totaled Hellcats available soon. I hope they come with lots of airbags in them.
Thanks guys!I'll keep everyone updated on every aspect of the build.Due to my job I stay away from home for about 2 months straight and then have 2-3 weeks off to do whatever I need to do.Unfortunately my hands will not be getting as dirty as I would like,but I will be sure to make it clear that anytime something is done to the car (media blaster,panel replacement,body work/paint,interior,etc) that pics are emailed to me.There is a date in my mind that I would like see the car finished,but I don't want to say it out loud and jinx anything just yet.I would like for the car to be blasted next month and ready for paint by fall.I've actually made the rounds to all the local wrecking yards as well and left my number with them in case a totaled Hellcat turns up.We might just ditch the 440-6 idea and go another route.

On another note,I received an email from U.S. Car Tool today about their mini tub kit for E bodies.They are in the works,but no date has been set as to when they're coming out.We might just fab our own with some sheet metal while it's on the rotisserie.

jbearden

Reaction score
I agree with everything you said Bill.I have a date in mind that I would like to see,but I do not want to rush anything or cut corners.I have a ton of parts for the car and enough cash to get to paint.The motor and trans(440-6/727) are also ready to go.I'll just run the 8.75 for now with some 4.10's that I have laying around,but have a truck 4.10 Dana ready to be cut down and fitted at a later date.The next biggest step after body/paint will be the suspension and brakes.I have 2 good wiring harnesses that I hope I will not be needing because I really want that 6.2 supercharged bad boy.Also agree that I hope everyone is safe in their Hellcat.Seriously,I want everyone to walk away without a scratch,but absolutely destroy the rear or side of the car so I can get that motor/trans and anything else salvageable from it.

moparleo

Reaction score
Another potential source is the local insurance adjusters as they will be the first in line on an accident total claim. Also local towing services as they see the cars first. Good luck. You can also just put up 60K and buy a new one.

jbearden

Reaction score
If I had an extra 60k laying around I might do that.If you spot me I'll pay you back on the first.

jbearden

Reaction score
While I'm chatting with you moparleo, I will get some pics of the driver side door hinges on the Challenger and send them to you.The driver side just swings open and closed.There is nothing there to catch and hold it open anymore.No idea what it's called but I'm sure you understand what it is already.Could I send them in and you rebuild them or would they just act as a core for another set?Both doors open and close just fine with no issues like sagging or appearing wore out in any way beside the drivers door not staying open.

moparleo

Reaction score
The door spring is broken. What happens normally is the rollers that work on the spring to hold the door open get frozen and instead of rolling back and forth with the action of the pivot spring they act like a saw and cut into the spring, eventually cutting a groove that ultimately breaks. I service all of the moving parts and you get back hinges that function as new. I can exchange or rebuild you originals. Your choice. I do all 4 hinges, uppers and lowers, both sides.

jbearden

Reaction score
I had to put the Challenger on hold for the moment.I'm really hoping that I can get the metal work started sometime next month.I happened to stumble across a deal and had to buy another car.This one is an FC7 4 speed AAR.It's really rough and will take a ton of metal and man hours but I just couldn't pass on it.20141106_161604.jpg

20141106_161604.jpg

Bill

Reaction score
I had to put the Challenger on hold for the moment.I'm really hoping that I can get the metal work started sometime next month.I happened to stumble across a deal and had to buy another car.This one is an FC7 4 speed AAR.It's really rough and will take a ton of metal and man hours but I just couldn't pass on it.View attachment 18247

It sure can be a sickness (lol).

jbearden

Reaction score
Besides motor and trans it's missing most of the frame rails,trunk,floors, a good chunk of the rockers is missing too.Car came from northern Ill. so it's pretty rough.It looks like someone turned it into a drag car years ago.I do have the VIN,fender tags,cowl,door and core support numbers along with a clear title and someone else is making all the steel to replace what's bad.I don't have a broadcast sheet which I expected it to be gone,but it still bums me out.

jbearden

Reaction score
Since the oilfield is starting to crash and because I will probably be laid off in a few months,I changed my mind about a full blown resto on the Challenger.It's ratty looking but solid so for now I'm thinking about just throwing it together and dropping a warm big block in it.Drive it as is until drilling picks back up and they pay me to point fingers again.What do you guys think?Nothing beats a finely restored Mopar,but having a beat up ratty Challenger on the road is better than not having one.

The only good news about the possibility of being laid off is I get to spend more time working on the car myself instead of sending it off to someone else.I'm sure that there will be a ton of questions asked!

Back