• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

My First Complete Restoration-TA Challenger

Jalaska907

Reaction score
Hey there everyone. Ive been creeping on here for sometime now, and always wanted to do a thread. Ive been pretty slow at the restoration, so I felt that the slow updating of pictures and info wouldn't get much traffic. So after talking with a few guys on here, I decided, what the heck, might as well start one.

Ill do my best to explain pictures, but if I miss something you want to know more about, let me know. I have over 2000 pictures, so for obvious reasons, i wont be posting all. If there is something specific you want to see, just ask, ill see what I can do to help.

Like the title says, this is my first complete restoration. And honestly, this is my first mopar, with the exception of my wifes jeep, but a 2013 Jeep doesnt count. I enjoy most everything mechanical, but ive always leaned more GM. So this car was a little out of my comfort zone, and that proved more difficult as its my first complete restoration.

As far as my goal with this car, I want to drive it. Nice days, few sunny road trips, and take the wife out in it. It will also be something I want to hand down to the children in future. Being that Im wanting a really nice driver, I havent been super focused on NOS parts, or proper finishes. Im keeping my date correct parts that tend to wear, i.e. starter, water pump, alternator, hoses, original wiring, ect. in a box on the shelf in case things in life change. As far as colors go, Im trying to get the suspension all powder coated. Just going a semi gloss black, much like chassis black. Well Ill get to the pics, and please, if you see something that is not correct, looks weird, I would like to know. if i can i will explain why, and if not, Im open to learning.

Jalaska907

Reaction score
Forgot the details of the car:
1970 Challenger TA
340-6
4spd
non rallye
non A/C
N95 Cali emissions
88k miles when restoration started
Have Broadcast Sheet
#s matching drivetrain

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0718.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

Jalaska907

Reaction score
These are all pictures of the car how I bought it. These were all about 4 years ago. I have a ton of under carriage pictures I will work on posting. It will take some time, but the car is currently painted, and starting assembly of all the components

IMG_0724.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

Adam

Reaction score
Nice. You should consider an image hosting website and post all your pics, especially before & after. Then you just post the link and everyone can see them. I use Imageevent.com because I have three photo albums. My Challenger has over 5600 views, my 48 Power Wagon also had over 5000 before it reset for some reason, and I have a new project, 1942 WC 53, Carryall.

Image event costs money, but there are probably free sites out there...

Jalaska907

Reaction score
Nice. You should consider an image hosting website and post all your pics, especially before & after. Then you just post the link and everyone can see them. I use Imageevent.com because I have three photo albums. My Challenger has over 5600 views, my 48 Power Wagon also had over 5000 before it reset for some reason, and I have a new project, 1942 WC 53, Carryall.

Image event costs money, but there are probably free sites out there...

Sorry for my ignorance, but what would be the purpose of using such a service? Im ok with keeping pics on my SD cards.

Adam

Reaction score
Just convenience; with 2000 photos on your camera, disc, hard drive, etc you have to search, find email, and so on. With an image album you just provide a link and the 100s or 1000s of viewers can scroll through.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Very nice car to start with. Your going to love your first Mopar!!! Except of course of the cost of building it. Any pics of the state it is at now?

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Looks like a solid car to start with. I've been at my restoration for almost 4 years now and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hoping to have mine judge-ready for the 50th anniversary reunion at Carlisle in 2020. Best of luck...

340challconvert

Reaction score
Hey Alaska, Really great resto project.
Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your work!
Glad you caught Mopar Fever!
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

Jalaska907

Reaction score
Looks like a solid car to start with. I've been at my restoration for almost 4 years now and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hoping to have mine judge-ready for the 50th anniversary reunion at Carlisle in 2020. Best of luck...

It was a very solid car, when I get the pics of the worst spots, Ill explain them, but it was a great car to start with. I would love mine to be judged one day, but it will have to be when i decided i dont want to drive it anymore. I have a majority of the correct parts, but not all the correct finishes, stamping, paint marks, ect

Jalaska907

Reaction score
Here's a few more pictures- Just a sneak peak at whats coming... Ill add more pics of tear down, but wanted to show some progress pictures to keep interest going

The pictures of the car in black are right after I had the car blasted. I had it put right into Epoxy. You will see in the pics that the trunk floor, under seat pan, deck filler panel, and package tray needed replaced. For those sections I went with AMD for all the metal, great fitment and correct look.

DSCN1008.JPG

DSCN1009.JPG

DSCN1009.JPG

DSCN1010.JPG

DSCN1011.JPG

DSCN1012.JPG

DSCN1013.JPG

DSCN1014.JPG

DSCN1015.JPG

DSCN1016.JPG

Jalaska907

Reaction score
Heres another one

Next Ill post underside of car before I tore it down. After that Ill get into the components thats been restored

DSCN1037.JPG

SFEbody

Reaction score
Great car and obviously a very collectable project you will be proud of. I am working on a plum crazy 70 as well. One question, what is the history of the car? How did you fid it etc? Good luck with it, you will love the time spent on it. i know I do.

Jalaska907

Reaction score
Great car and obviously a very collectable project you will be proud of. I am working on a plum crazy 70 as well. One question, what is the history of the car? How did you fid it etc? Good luck with it, you will love the time spent on it. i know I do.

Kind of a long story about how I knew about the car, and ended up with it. Ill do my best to write up a quick story on it.
This TA was born in Hamtramck with a scheduled build date of April 15, 1970. If I understand correctly, it was within a couple days of end of production for the TA. After being built, the car was sold in California new. Not sure where in cali, or what dealership. Since it was being sold in cali, the car is an optioned N95 emissions car. The car had 2 owners in California, which one of the owners did a re paint and changed a few smaller items in the 90s. In 2000 the car was bought by a gentleman here is Soldotna Alaska. He is pretty know for a rare 1 of 3 pink challenger restorations. Not going to name names, but Im sure some of you can figure it out. He traded this TA and another high end restoration to a friend of his that had a really rare 440-6,4spd,gator skin top, and high in color. I cant remember all the details on this car. After the trade, the gentleman who now owned the TA, drove it everyday, rain,shine, work, snow, ect. You can imagine that weather took its toll on it and about 7 years or so, the car wouldn't run anymore. It sat in his driveway until the day I got it, which was about 6-7 more years of it sitting on gravel in his driveway. Never covered, rained on, snowed on, ect. After getting the car about 4 years ago now, Ive been slowly working on getting back to where the car deserves to be. Theres quite a few small details Ive left out, but this is the gist of how I got the car. I was neighbors with the prior owner i bought the car from. He first got the car in trade when I was about 12-13 years old, I bought it when I was 27-28.

Back