• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

My T/A restoration...

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Saved another original piece. Rear spoiler - Original came with cracks, a long hole in the top and an attempted repair job.
20161127_152533.jpg

Found a product that created plastic with a 2-part process so I tried filling the hole with it...
20161218_115529.jpg

After sanding it, I realized that whomever attempted the first repair with body filler got the contour of the spoiler and the top lip all out of proportion. Went to the auto body supply store and got this product. Then I started playing body man...
20170103_161001.jpg
20170107_135737.jpg

Trying to regain the proper contour...
20170112_092116.jpg
20170113_094833.jpg
20170115_133256.jpg
20170119_152248.jpg
20170119_155829.jpg

As you see, the trunk lid is missing the correct black paint under the spoiler. That is in the process...

Grady Cain

Reaction score
A-833 4-speed - I purchased the car as a numbers-matching vehicle and paid accordingly for it. It was bad enough when I realized that ALL of the internals to the transmission could not be found anywhere (T/A's have special gearing so not just run-of-the-mill parts here.) Then you can imagine my extreme disappointment when I found out from Jamie Passon that the main case (ya, the part with the VIN on it) was rotted on the face and couldn't be used. When he called me, he actually asked me, "How deep was the pond that my case was sitting in?!" Check out those deep pits - ugly!
20160222_224854.jpg

WHAT. THE. F**K.. I just paid up for a #s car and now I don't have a #s trans. Sooo.... I have Jaime find me a date-code correct case and he builds me a box with all NOS T/A gears, shafts, synchros, etc that he had in stock. Mind you, I have not given up on the original trans case and after 2 years of asking, searching, etc, I find this product: Devcon Titanium putty - an amazing product that can be machined. Devcon Titanium Putty | Devcon
Here we go - I mixed it, filled it in heavy protecting the threaded holes, etc. I have a friend Pete up the road who is a retired machinist and hot-rodder. He has a full machine shop in his garage for personal use. After getting the exact case measurement spec from Jaime, I was able to have Pete machine it after my repair. Brought it back down to Passon where Jaime swapped the guts from the one he built into my original case. Whew.... back to a #s matching car again!
THIS, FOLKS, IS ACTUAL RESTORATION. Going the extra mile to rebuild things and search out NOS parts rather than throw **** away and buy aftermarket. I realize that sometimes aftermarket parts have to happen and as I've said before, to each their own, but my first choice regardless of time or money spent is true OEM whenever possible. This was a major achievement for me as I thought that I had just watched the value of my car go away without the #s transmission. The anger I had was very high at that point but my elation was much greater after truly restoring the original A-833 with all original NOS Mopar internals and repairing the original case...
20160731_115608.jpg
20160731_122508.jpg
20160822_190346.jpg
20160910_111607.jpg
20160910_111336.jpg
20160910_115314.jpg
20161127_113034.jpg
20161127_124024.jpg

A side note - Jaime Passon is another great guy both personally and professionally. Since first bringing him the T/A transmission back in 2014, we have developed a good personal relationship with one another after discovering mutual non-Mopar interests. He has connected me with many beautiful NOS parts and I have since had him rebuild the #s matching 4-speed for my A12 car. His work is fantastic, he is a stand-up die-hard Mopar guy and I highly recommend his services regarding anything A-833 or Hurst-related.

Last edited:

moparlee

Reaction score
Nice work on the auto body repair work. I have also used that titanium putty a couple times and it does do the job, not at all the same is the ol'e JB Weld Stuff. Sure glad you were able to save your original A833 case.

moparlee

Reaction score
That tail light assembly turned out fantastic. I love those details (even those little but important clips). Isn't it amazing how many of those empty spray cans you end up with doing a project like this?

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Nice work on the auto body repair work. I have also used that titanium putty a couple times and it does do the job, not at all the same is the ol'e JB Weld Stuff. Sure glad you were able to save your original A833 case.

Thank you. I really thought it was game over until I discovered that Devcon. Sometimes you get lucky...

Grady Cain

Reaction score
That tail light assembly turned out fantastic. I love those details (even those little but important clips). Isn't it amazing how many of those empty spray cans you end up with doing a project like this?

Thanks man. Like I stated before, I love the details and many of them I would not have known about without the proper reference materials. Spray paint?! Oh ya, we got spray paint! You are correct - amazing how much gets used...
20171118_131733.jpg

MN74

Reaction score
A-833 4-speed - I purchased the car as a numbers-matching vehicle and paid accordingly for it. It was bad enough when I realized that ALL of the internals to the transmission could not be found anywhere (T/A's have special gearing so not just run-of-the-mill parts here.) Then you can imagine my extreme disappointment when I found out from Jamie Passon that the main case (ya, the part with the VIN on it) was rotted on the face and couldn't be used. When he called me, he actually asked me, "How deep was the pond that my case was sitting in?!" Check out those deep pits - ugly!
View attachment 46571
WHAT. THE. F**K.. I just paid up for a #s car and now I don't have a #s trans. Sooo.... I have Jaime find me a date-code correct case and he builds me a box with all NOS T/A gears, shafts, synchros, etc that he had in stock. Mind you, I have not given up on the original trans case and after 2 years of asking, searching, etc, I find this product: Devcon Titanium putty - an amazing product that can be machined. Devcon Titanium Putty | Devcon
Here we go - I mixed it, filled it in heavy protecting the threaded holes, etc. I have a friend Pete up the road who is a retired machinist and hot-rodder. He has a full machine shop in his garage for personal use. After getting the exact case measurement spec from Jaime, I was able to have Pete machine it after my repair. Brought it back down to Passon where Jaime swapped the guts from the one he built into my original case. Whew.... back to a #s matching car again!
THIS, FOLKS, IS ACTUAL RESTORATION. Going the extra mile to rebuild things and search out NOS parts rather than throw **** away and buy aftermarket. I realize that sometimes aftermarket parts have to happen and as I've said before, to each their own, but my first choice regardless of time or money spent is true OEM whenever possible. This was a major achievement for me as I thought that I had just watched the value of my car go away without the #s transmission. The anger I had was very high at that point but my elation was much greater after truly restoring the original A-833 with all original NOS Mopar internals and repairing the original case...
View attachment 46572 View attachment 46573 View attachment 46574 View attachment 46575 View attachment 46578 View attachment 46579 View attachment 46580 View attachment 46581
A side note - Jaime Passon is another great guy both personally and professionally. Since first bringing him the T/A transmission back in 2014, we have developed a good personal relationship with one another after discovering mutual non-Mopar interests. He has connected me with many beautiful NOS parts and I have since had him rebuild the #s matching 4-speed for my A12 car. His work is fantastic, he is a stand-up die-hard Mopar guy and I highly recommend his services regarding anything A-833 or Hurst-related.
I am so happy you took the extra mile to find a solution for the main case. Thanks for posting that link.

Funny thing is on my X I ran into an issue with the main case. It was at Brewers and I get a call saying one thrust area is worn out and the case is not usable/rebuild-able. My heart sank because it was the matching numbers case and I had the same option as you, get another, lol.....I couldn't do that and hence I spoke to Jamie at Passion and he said we should be able to build that area up and fly cut it. After several months they were able to fix that and save my case.....

In the end I wish I just sent it all to Jaime at Passion....Don't get me wrong Brewers did an awesome rebuild but leaving me no option when options are out there didn't sit well for me.....

Anyways....Everything is coming along beautifully on the TA....Very Very Nice!

Justin

doubleyellow

Reaction score
The rear light bezels are amazing. Can you please tell me what level of pitting they had? What processes did the plater use to eliminate the pitting before plating (or was there no pitting)? Thanks much.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
The rear light bezels are amazing. Can you please tell me what level of pitting they had? What processes did the plater use to eliminate the pitting before plating (or was there no pitting)? Thanks much.

The amount of pitting was moderate but there were some spots that were fairly rough. I'm trying to see if I have any photos of them before plating and I will post them when I find them in the thousands of still unorganized pics. I'm not sure of their process but I've seen some pretty rough stuff go through there and come out perfect. These guys deal with really, really old (and valuable) cars and can turn junk into concours-winning pieces. It's definitely magic to me! Thanks for the compliment...

doubleyellow

Reaction score
Great to know....the repo bezels are OK, but don't fit exactly like originals. Just been told too much pitting is impossible to fix.

Donny

Reaction score
This thread, and this car is exceptional! The detail is OCD and that's what is required! My hand salutes this level of attentiveness. Sadly, all I see on these cars is them in their raw form, and then freshly media blasted then off they go. The exception is James' 1970 Challenger which I'm taking thru metal work then he claims it back. I can say RUST SUCKS. The damage corrosion does is SO BAD.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
This thread, and this car is exceptional! The detail is OCD and that's what is required! My hand salutes this level of attentiveness. Sadly, all I see on these cars is them in their raw form, and then freshly media blasted then off they go. The exception is James' 1970 Challenger which I'm taking thru metal work then he claims it back. I can say RUST SUCKS. The damage corrosion does is SO BAD.

Thank you Donny - your words are much appreciated. I'm doing what I can with what I know and what I've learned. Not perfect by any stretch but my passion for the research and restoration is 100%. This car deserves to be put back the way it came...

Adam

Reaction score
Apparently I have been in a cave, with my fingers in my ears... I just saw this thread for the first time today. Incredible work Grady! Love the detailed photos. Must be one of the best T/A cars out there.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
Apparently I have been in a cave, with my fingers in my ears... I just saw this thread for the first time today. Incredible work Grady! Love the detailed photos. Must be one of the best T/A cars out there.

Hey Adam - thank you very much! I really appreciate the kind words. I'm picking away at it slowly - trying to get it right (or as close to right as I can.)

383RT

Reaction score
New to the forum and I love the story about your restoration. I’m curious what paint you used on your brake booster and master cylinder, as well as the suspension components that are painted black.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Hey 383RT Welcome to FEBO
If you get the chance, go to the new member section and introduce yourself.

I've been watching Grady's work too and the job he is doing on his T/A is exceptional.

Grady Cain

Reaction score
New to the forum and I love the story about your restoration. I’m curious what paint you used on your brake booster and master cylinder, as well as the suspension components that are painted black.

Hey 383RT - Welcome to FEBO from NW CT and thank you for the kind words.

The black on the booster and M/C is Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black which is about a 25-30% gloss and most closely matches the OEM finish. The other black front suspension parts such as the K-Member, front sway-bar and mounts (semi-gloss black), brake dust shields (40% gloss black) and torsion bars (80% gloss black) are all powder coated. A tough decision for me to make as I mentioned in my thread because it is not an OEM finish and many judges pick up on that. It is a choice I made for the longevity of the car. I guess I'll find out if I get points deducted for it on judgement day.

Please introduce yourself in the Welcome Wagon section and post some pics of your Mopar if you have one! Thanks again for checking out my restoration. More to come soon...

Back