• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need of some help gents

hartless440

Reaction score
So here's the situation. After getting back from deployment, finally took it out for a spin and ran real rough. Tried again wouldn't start. So if figured this was a good time to make some upgrades. So i slapped a 800 Holley double pumper on the old 440 and figured it would help a little bit from 750 edelbrock that was on there. Long story short (and where I am now) the same thing won't start. It will crank and occasionally catch. But not really. I checked for spark and it is Definetly getting fuel. Starter fluid didnt help eithet. What do you guys think? It's low on had but its got enough for it to at least start. So please, if you can help a Marine out. Thanks guys!!

acguy

Reaction score
My crystal ball broke but I would venture a guess that maybe the old nylon timing gear gave up the ghost and jumped a tooth or if you have a points distributor the cindenser could be bad. you would still have spark but not enough.

Ray

Reaction score
How old is the gas? Pull the plugs what do they look like.

acguy

Reaction score
My crystal ball broke but I would venture a guess that maybe the old nylon timing gear gave up the ghost and jumped a tooth or if you have a points distributor the cindenser could be bad. you would still have spark but not enough.
Btw, Thank you for your service.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
check the gap between the reluctor & pick up inside the dist , it should be .008
What color spark are you getting ? Did you gap the plugs or drop any while installing ?

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Running rough might have been old gas with moisture in it or corroded points or plugs. After you changed plugs, double check you got the plug wires back to the correct cylinder now that it does not want to start at all. I assume you did not move the distributor so timing would not be off. Oh, and check the configuration of the choke. If it's real cold, it should be pretty much closed. Good luck and thanks for your service!

Last edited:

hartless440

Reaction score
Yea still nothing. Wires are back. Sparks are good. Its a strong bright yellow/orange spark that resemebles a small explosion. Very powerful spark. And the plus before were in pretty good shape just a lil carbon on them. Tried choking and starter fluid. Ill tinker with it some more before I deploy again. Should be back before summer. Thangs again everyone

Big Jim

Reaction score
First thought would be to check timing-set #1 cylinder at TDC on compression stroke and see if dist rotor points at #1 terminal on cap. Looks like a '70 in the pic-does it have points or electronic ignition? If points, gap should be .017" (or 30-32 degrees dwell). If it's electronic, you need to use a non-magnetic (brass) feeler gauge to set reluctor air gap (IIRC gap is .008") Hope this helps, and thanks for your service!

Back