• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

need some wheel and tire combo advice

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
I`m sure this has been asked a million times before so I apologize in advance. My car left today for body and paint work "FINALLY"! Now I really need to decide what I want for rims and tire sizes. I want U.S Wheel Rallye wheels (15X7 4.5 backspace in the front) & (15X8 4.5 backspace in the rear). What size tire should I go with on these rims to get that proper stance? I like the Firestone wide oval radials and will probably spend the money on them. I have a stock suspension no mods. Any and all opinions are appreciated!
Lastly Firestone has both GR-70's & FR-70'S whats the difference between a GR & FR tire?

NoCar340

Reaction score
The F & G are load ratings, but generally speaking the high letter will be a wider cross-section. Neither size would be suitable for an 8"-wide wheel, looking at Coker's size chart for each.

My Challenger came with 15x8 Rallye wheels out back, which I believe are 4.25" backspacing (but I'd have to measure). The tires were 275/60R-15 BFGs. They cleared fine and looked pretty good; the tire size was about perfect for that width wheel. I'm not sure if the Plymouth has quite as much room back there, but I think they'd fit.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I believe the 15x7 are 4-1/4" backset and 15x8 are 4-1/2" backset.

That may well be the case. I took them off the car, sold the tires, and put the wheels aside several years ago. I never had intentions of putting them back on so my memory isn't real clear about the backspacing.

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys everyone. I just remembered to check back here before ordering. I am going with FR-70 RWL Firestone wide oval`s all around from Coker tire. The FR60`s are a little shorter tire than the FR70`s I`m thinking it might not give my car the proper stance,opinions?
Wish I could find these tires locally shipping is $183 from Coker at least Firestone has an $80 rebate for April!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
F & G are not load ratings , they are the sizing , so G are wider than F
60 & 70 is the aspect ratio so if G is 8" wide then the sidewall is is 70% or 60% of the 8" diamention
You really want to stay with 70s front & rear or 60s front & rear otherwise your front tires may end up taller then the rear tires .
Tire sizes have become difficult to find now especially in 15" rim sizes , I ended up using a 275 50 Nitto on the rear as it has the fit & look I wanted but I cannot find a smaller 50 series tire to fit the front & using a 60 series tire in front is too tall .
I hope this helps .

Back