• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New To Forum, looking to learn while saving for a 'Cuda

JoCarp

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm Jordan from Topeka, Kansas. I am 28 and have dreamt of having a 'Cuda since my dad first showed a 1971 to me when I was 10. When I was a teen I looked into them and somewhat gave up on the dream after seeing what they can bring. Back then a purple one went for $840,000 I remember which we all know is a fraction of what some go for now (still loved them, but didn't know if I would ever have one). Now that I'm settled in, have a home, a good place of employment, and a wife that is ok with me setting funding aside for this goal (and she likes the idea of having an old muscle car!) I'm determined to have a 'Cuda! It won't be anything like the one mentioned above, and may not even be something anyone else would want, but it will be MY 'Cuda! I'm thinking about trying to find one with a reasonable body (preferably in the '70-'74 range) and then do engine, body/paint and interior. My goal is to eventually have a big block with old looks and new handling. I've already been reading theads and restorations on here and have learned a lot. Can't wait to learn more from you all as I save for this!

Any suggestion on best approach to get the look, and motor set up for the best budget would be greatly appreciated. I just don't know that I can afford to go numbers matching style, the car will just be for me and my enjoyment mostly. Something I plan to keep around, drive without worrying so much about each mile added and keep till I can pass on to my kids.

Thanks again for the help and knowledge on the site!

moparleo

Reaction score
Welcome. $ 840,000 ??? WOW That would be for a #1 condition, matching number, Hemi convertible with every thing on it. So not to worry, you can buy/build a very nice car for 100,000 s of thousands less.Best way to start is to save your money until you get around 30K or so and then buy the most complete, best condition car that you can find as a base. That way you can start to enjoy your car right away and upgrade at you own pace.

js29

Reaction score
welcome aboard! moparleo is giving you sound advice. buying a basket case project get pricey you may get in over your head buying missing or worn out parts that you were not expecting. plus it can be vary time consuming, so buying a driver would be cheaper in the long run. good luck and enjoy

JoCarp

Reaction score
Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the welcome and advice. I would not have thought that Moparleo's plan would be the best approach cost wise, but as I think about it and everything that one could find in a rougher car it makes sense!
Thanks again everyone, seems like a great community!

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Leo's plan is the only way to go for a first car in the hobby. Some cars are rare and the only way to get them is to restore them. Another thing is to buy the best car you can afford. For instance if you can buy a 70 Cuda for the same price as a 73; buy the 70. When you start looking for a car post up pics. We will tell you what we see good and bad. There are several people on the site with a lot of experience with these cars.

Bill

Reaction score
Welcome from Vermont. I think it's worth telling my story. Bare in mind I am a novice. 3 years ago I purchased a 73 project Challenger. Most of the body work was done but it was missing some parts and I had to fix a lot of rust under the car. One thing led to another and I wound up building a rotisserie for it. "Long story short" I will have about 28k into it. I could of purchased a 73 Challenger for about that much in about the same condition as mine will be when it's finished (BTW it's not finished yet but hope to have it on the road in a few months). Personally I don't think I would want to do it any other way because the restoration process has been priceless for me regardless of the cost. I'm 53 years old. I love working on my Challenger and I love learning new things about it. This website is amazing with knowledge about E bodies.
Good luck (Cuda's are very cool!)
Bill (Vermont)

volcanocar

Reaction score
Hey jordan I just joined the forums as well, these guys are super helpful. I'm 29 and I just bought my 70 last year... I kinda just fell into the car by happenstance, it its in fact my dream car and I always had my eyes open but sometimes a little luck is what you need. Chassis worse mine is exactly what I wanted but I'm going to have to build and engine/trans and piece together the fuel system... so I've got some work lol, good luck with your search.

Back