• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Newer Challenger Advice

Xcudame

Reaction score
I know this isn't an E-Body question, but my son has saved up some money and is looking to buy a used newer Challenger with a loan through his credit union. I'm thinking a 2015 or newer R/T with the 5.7 hemi and automatic. I'd love to hear from you folks who have a newer Challenger and if there's anything we need to look for, stay away from or be concerned with. How many miles are these good for! I see some with around 100,000 miles of them! I know you guys will know the ins and outs! And he can't afford anything more than $30k (so obviously now Demons or Hellcats!).

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
You might find something for cash. Put the 413 in it.
1713139740071.jpeg

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Idle time is the killer , the lifters only oil properly at RPM , if it ticks it needs work .

Xcudame

Reaction score
I've heard the trucks with the 5.7 hemi break exhaust studs which causes exhaust leaks. Is that a problem with the Challengers? Maybe different exhaust manifolds?

Challenger RTA, the 413 is going into an E-Body, but I don't want to reveal that story yet! 😀

Chryco Psycho thanks for the "tick" advice! I'm pretty certain my son, like his father and his father's father before him, will keep the rpms up! We're a lead foot family, but not dangerously so! Definitely anything that ticks needs to be avoided!

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I left my 2¢ about the 3rd gen challenger on a review video and they would delete it every time. In short it fell sort of a few key cue influences. the interior look like it was out of a truck. The body lines were more reminiscence of a barracuda. I more so bashed on the laziness of the designers. My point to them was. If you are going to do something do it right.

As far as the lifter tic. As I understand it, it is due to lack of maintenance. Then it ends up wiping out the cam. Really no fault of the motor.
To buy an E body now. The prices I see a ludicrous. To buy a base E body rusted out hulk at 20k and put an other 20-40k into it and not be worth 60k. I think to buy a 3rd gen for 10k-30k and be able to drive it. And still be able to get parts. Your way further ahead. The thing I think I understand is that the 2015 and up there not as easily tuned.
Here are a few video's of the owner's opinion.

Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
Challenger RTA, thank you for the videos! Yes, the 70-74 Challengers and Barracudas are definitely priced out of his buying capability at this point! Plus he needs a good reliable daily driver.

And as the one guy said in the video, who knows, the V8 Challengers could go up in value!

Mopar426power

Reaction score
My wife has a 2010 Challenger 5.7 6-speed. She loves it and it is very fun to drive. We have had no issues so far, the car only has about 5000 miles on it and not a daily driver. But so far so good! I would certainly recommend one!
IMG_0303.JPG

JustinS09

Reaction score
Mine is an 09 R/T with the 5.7L automatic. 150K miles on it. Bought it brand new with 7 miles on the odometer. It was a daily for 12 years until I bought my Ram.

Only issues I've had are with the AC. The actuators are cheap plastic pieces and the one on the recirculation door broke 3 times before I gave up on replacing it. First time was under warranty and the second I paid a few hundred to have it fixed.

Outside of that, I've had no issues. I love mine, but if I was in the market for a new one today, I'd get something with the 392 in it. Bigger gains to be made with forged internals and forced induction if you ever wanted to go that route in the future.
1000002244.jpg

9ea9df33-6794-4e45-8d70-6929b1fc4241-1_all_533.jpg

Xcudame

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing JustinS09! Wow, 150,000 miles is a great testament! I have seen a few R/T Scat Packs that are within his budget!

440WB

Reaction score
I know this isn't an E-Body question, but my son has saved up some money and is looking to buy a used newer Challenger with a loan through his credit union. I'm thinking a 2015 or newer R/T with the 5.7 hemi and automatic. I'd love to hear from you folks who have a newer Challenger and if there's anything we need to look for, stay away from or be concerned with. How many miles are these good for! I see some with around 100,000 miles of them! I know you guys will know the ins and outs! And he can't afford anything more than $30k (so obviously now Demons or Hellcats!).
I have a 2020 T/A with the small 5.7 - its just enough to almost get me in trouble... if it was a scat - I would be in trouble every time - for like you I too have a lead foot! Mine has 25000. Last year around 23500 the lifters were ticking - under warranty they changed out the lifters with cam. Its a MDS -vvt thing. So make sure to buy extra warranty. ( I do enjoy 20 mpg on highway )
Get the Performance Plus Package with Performance Handling Group = big difference with drive-ability - If he wants the extra Scat power - A Factory Wide Body is the way to go.

IMG_5617.JPG

Xcudame

Reaction score
Thanks 440WB!! He wants reliable transportation and it sounds like the newer Challenger is pretty reliable. I keep seeing where owners really seem to love them! And I like the positive feedback you guys are supplying!

I'm wondering if here in the desert of Southwestern Arizona if running 5W30 would be better than the recommended 5W20? That lifter ticking seems to be a big negative.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I have a 1970 with a Hemi and 2012 R/T Classic with a 5.7L 6 spd manual. I love both cars for different reasons. My 12 is 12 years old and have only changed front pads, oil and filters, tires and battery. All else is good. I have no complaints. The newer Challenger is the only vehicle that I have liked from Chrysler in 50 years besides the 2nd Gen Rams.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Thanks 6PKRTSE! Another great New Challenger real life testimony! Sounds like my son is focused on the right Mopar!

Mopar426power

Reaction score
7 vehicles are from me, wife and 3 kids in their 20s…you can say Mopar family.
Wife’s challenger is an occasional summertime driver, which in Ohio anymore seems like 2 months a year…

mrmopar340

Reaction score
7 vehicles are from me, wife and 3 kids in their 20s…you can say Mopar family.
Wife’s challenger is an occasional summertime driver, which in Ohio anymore seems like 2 months a year…
You're raising them right. Keeping it under ma mopars banner. Well done sir.

Xcudame

Reaction score
We have three drivers with the following vehicles (not including the 71 Barracuda because it doesn't run):
70 Dodge Challenger
89 Dodge Cummins
96 Dodge Neon
98 Dodge Dakota
07 Jeep Liberty
14 Chrysler 300c Hemi
19 Cherokee Trailhawk
XX Dodge Challenger R/T (what this post is about)

Mopar or No Car

Back