• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

No idea what i'm getting into

Clueless72

Reaction score
I just sent a deposit on a 72 restomod... it's black on black and the car has a 360ci. I honestly have never owned a car w a carb and i'm slightly afraid. also I'm in santa fe and high above sea level. I'm kind of debating either a sueprcharger or doing some kind of a modern hemi w fuel injection swap. I know it won't be cheap but it might just be worth it to me. also am lost as far as what wheels i can fit and how i'm ging to go about lowering the vehicle. also i'm looking for a shaker hood setup but realize a super charger might ruin that dream for me. any other pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm really excited to get my first classic muscle car as i've always loved the e bodies and feel blessed to get one.

Martin

Reaction score
Get one of those Holley Sniper EFI kits. bolts on to your existing manifold and is supposed to be easy to tune. looking to add one to my f100 this winter.

Clueless72

Reaction score
Get one of those Holley Sniper EFI kits. bolts on to your existing manifold and is supposed to be easy to tune. looking to add one to my f100 this winter.
wow, i have never seen anything like this and it's cheap too. does anyone have any experience with it? benefits of it etc? also thank you for the reply and information. I read a bit about it and some people seem to have some weird issues with it.

Last edited:

Clueless72

Reaction score
go with martin.
EFI that ***** for under a grand.
I'm honestly still a little doubtful htf can they change a carb to fuel injection for a grand? that's freakin nuts :p saw it had some issues but overall the reviews seemed really good. i might just do that I'm shocked that more people aren't running this mod. is there any dowside to using it?

Clueless72

Reaction score
also does any one have any eperience w the sniper efi? would love to hear fom someone who actualy has it.

DrEamer

Reaction score
also does any one have any eperience w the sniper efi? would love to hear fom someone who actualy has it.

I don't have it yet, but plan on using it after extensive research. The one problem that seems to crop up the most is for some reason, it sometimes does not work properly with a dual plane intake. The solution is a single plane manifold, or a 1 inch spacer under the EFI unit. Other problems that pops up is deals with wiring. One issue is that there is not enough voltage from the keyed source, or main power source. Hooking it up to the battery directly for both power and ground seems to fix main power problem. The other issue is sometime electrical interference from the ignition system, which is caused by wire routing, or the type of distributor used. Holly now has a complete system that includes the Sniper distributor, coil and CD box.It literally is plug and play. By using their system, it should take care of most of the interference problems.

One other note, you will need to figure out how you want to configure the fuel system. The EFI unit requires around 50 psi to run, and should run a return line to the tank. Again Holley has several choices, from an external pump and line kit for around $200, or a replacement tank with a in tank pump all ready installed for around $500. They even have a kit to convert your stock tank to an internal pump. So, it is going to cost more then $1000, but should be work great when you are done. In my case, I am starting with a shell, so I need everything including the tank, so I'm using their whole system with internal tank pump. The cost is around $2,000 for everything, plus the cost of fuel lines.

Last edited:

Clueless72

Reaction score
I wish i was a mechanic myself :p i actually don't mind doing minor work on cars but i just moved into a condo so don't have a place to do work like that, as i'd rather not do it in a parking garage. hopefully the car i bought has the things i need besides the actual system. it realyl sounds too good to be true though, even for 2k which seems really insignificant in comparison toa . motor swap. i read that you're not suppposed to use it w a super charger but i also read else wehre that it should work ok w one.

I don't have it yet, but plan on using it after extensive research. The one problem that seems to crop up the most is for some reason, it sometimes does not work properly with a dual plane intake. The solution is a single plane manifold, or a 1 inch spacer under the EFI unit. Other problems that pops up is deals with wiring. One issue is that there is not enough voltage from the keyed source, or main power source. Hooking it up to the battery directly for both power and ground seems to fix main power problem. The other issue is sometime electrical interference from the ignition system, which is caused by wire routing, or the type of distributor used. Holly now has a complete system that includes the Sniper distributor, coil and CD box.It literally is plug and play. By using their system, it should take care of most of the interference problems.

One other note, you will need to figure out how you want to configure the fuel system. The EFI unit requires around 50 psi to run, and should run a return line to the tank. Again Holley has several choices, from an external pump and line kit for around $200, or a replacement tank with a in tank pump all ready installed for around $500. They even have a kit to convert your stock tank to an internal pump. So, it is going to cost more then $1000, but should be work great when you are done. In my case, I am starting with a shell, so I need everything including the tank, so I'm using their whole system with internal tank pump. The cost is around $2,000 for everything, plus the cost of fuel lines.

moparleo

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Does this car that you are buying run? Is it complete ? If so, you might just want to drive it for a while to get used to what you have. It might be ok for now. That will give you time to do more research and maybe find someone in your area to start doing your mechanical work for you. There are some good shops in the Albuquerque area .

Clueless72

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Does this car that you are buying run? Is it complete ? If so, you might just want to drive it for a while to get used to what you have. It might be ok for now. That will give you time to do more research and maybe find someone in your area to start doing your mechanical work for you. There are some good shops in the Albuquerque area .
cool, any names would be greatly appreciated. I'm not familiar with muscle cars but i am very familiar w fast cars and modifying them. I just generally struggle to leave things alone. the winter might keep me from doing a lot of work though, so i guess we'll see. and yes it runs wella nd is complete.

Martin

Reaction score
EFI Swap is cheaper than a full Gen III Hemi swap. There is a whole section on the forum just for that topic. Once you open that can of worms there is no going back!

Clueless72

Reaction score
EFI Swap is cheaper than a full Gen III Hemi swap. There is a whole section on the forum just for that topic. Once you open that can of worms there is no going back!
i tried to search for it but i couldn't find anything. maybe i'm using the search function wrong. :(

mustve been tired last night :) works now. thank you

wedg2go

Reaction score
Congrats on your new ride. I know what you mean when you say, "high above sea level." Best of luck in your decision.

Clueless72

Reaction score
Congrats on your new ride. I know what you mean when you say, "high above sea level." Best of luck in your decision.

thank you :) I'm really excited about it. i haven't been this excited about a car in a long time.

gzig5

Reaction score
FITech is another option for easy bolt on FI. Reviews for the recent stuff seem to be similar to the Sniper. In tank fuel pump is the best option. FITech has an option that lets you keep the stock tank if you don't mind mounting the Command Center in the engine bay. Basically a surge tank fed from the mechanical pump that has an electrical pump to the throttle body.

Command Center 2 | FiTech Fuel Injection

TonyS451

Reaction score
I just sent a deposit on a 72 restomod... it's black on black and the car has a 360ci. I honestly have never owned a car w a carb and i'm slightly afraid. also I'm in santa fe and high above sea level. I'm kind of debating either a sueprcharger or doing some kind of a modern hemi w fuel injection swap. I know it won't be cheap but it might just be worth it to me. also am lost as far as what wheels i can fit and how i'm ging to go about lowering the vehicle. also i'm looking for a shaker hood setup but realize a super charger might ruin that dream for me. any other pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm really excited to get my first classic muscle car as i've always loved the e bodies and feel blessed to get one.
Congrats on your new ride! Don't be afraid of the carb, they work well. I will give you my 2 cents...If you are not concerned about your return on the investment and only care about having this particular car but with a different drivetrain, then I say go for it. Sounds like you can drive it as is, and enjoy it while you piece together everything to do the hemi and/or supercharger conversion, and all wheel, suspension and body mods. Its going to cost a LOT of $$ to do all that, but I'm sure you already know that.

If you want to save yourself a ton of time and money, I bet you can find something built a little closer to what you ultimately want. Either way, I wish you all the best.

Back