• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

oil system questions

bullet18

Reaction score
My 400 based 512 stroker is in need of some oil system upgrades. at the very least i need a different oil pickup to clear the crank and at most id be getting a billet oil pump cover and going to an external pickup. the motor might see 7k rpm down the road with some other upgrades so what should i go with? would a high pressure low volume pump be enough? also ive been wondering if i should get an oil cooler.

dolphin3111

Reaction score
I use the Milodon dual line swivel pickup in an 8 qt oil pan that I fabricated myself. Use a high volume pump with it. Melling # M-63HV (high volume) oil pump is very good and way cheaper than a Milodon pump. Use the Milodon bronze gear type oil pump drive. An oil cooler is not needed. I used to run this in NHRA Super Stock.
DSCF2905 4x6 C.JPG

Last edited:

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Same here with the dual Milodon but I have a tapered flat bottom dragster pan due to an aftermarket K frame. Spun to 7300 on dyno with no oiling issue or concerns.

20160404_184040.jpg

Rob C

Reaction score
With that much rpm you should upgrade the oil pump drive gear & shaft, if you haven’t already.

Milodon 21525: Oil Pump Drive Shaft with Bronze Gear Big Block Chrysler 383-440 Wedge/Hemi | JEGS
The bronze gear is for billet cams and there normally roller cams. If you don’t have a billet cam, this is the wrong item to use.

An oil cooler is a OK addition that shows itself best in long duration drives rather than 1/4-1/8 drags. It is also really good at extending oil life.

dolphin3111

Reaction score
If you use an oil pump that has provisions for a standard type racing filter in the stock location, you don't need to worry about the height of the suction lines as long as the filter has an internal anti-drainback valve.

Both the WIX #51515R and Fram HP-1 have silicone rubber anti-drainback valves.

bullet18

Reaction score
I ended up going with a billet cover and melling high volume oil pump along with a 7 qt pan. the jury's still out on whether or not ill get a cooler.

Adam

Reaction score
The bronze gear is for billet cams and there normally roller cams. If you don’t have a billet cam, this is the wrong item to use.

An oil cooler is a OK addition that shows itself best in long duration drives rather than 1/4-1/8 drags. It is also really good at extending oil life.
Good catch. I generally referring to the shaft which can break. I have never seen the gear fail, but I'm sure it happens.

Back