• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

oil

booyaballer

Reaction score
hi, from what i was told, i have a 93' "super commando" 360 (5.9L) engine w/ a "purple cam" in my 70 challenger with a 727 automatic transmission.

needs motor and transmission oil change. are there specific weight or type of i should consider or is a must?

thanks in advance.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
If you have a Purple cam in the engine , it is a flat tappet cam & needs high zinc oil , you can run 10-30w or 10-40w & add additives to protect the cam or you can use SJ rated Agricultural oil or you can use Brad Penn or Joe Gibbs oil specifically tailored for flat tappet cams . Not sure why a 93 5.9 magnum would use a Purple cam though as they cam with hyd roller cams from the factory .
In the 727 I would use Dex 3 , change the filter too

booyaballer

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I don’t suppose there’s a way to confirm the type of cam without removing it? (Probably a dumb question).

I was told Purple cam but IF it has a “ hyd roller cam” does that change oil type?
if so, Is there an oil I can use that’ll suit both just in case?

moparleo

Reaction score
You could visually check it and I probably would, who knows what you really have, by just pilling off the intake manifold. The cam and lifters are visible in the valley area.
The factory recommends ATF +4 on all Torqueflite transmissions old or new.
No such thing as a 5.9 Super Commando, somebody is uneducated on Mopar or pulling your leg. The last Mopar small block/with the new hydraulic roller cam was marketed as the Magnum© 5.2 and 5.9. in 1992 (5.2) and 1993 (5.9) It was a truck engine that was replaced by the 5.7 Hemi © in 2003. As said before they come with a roller cam. Going to any type of flat tappet cam would be a step backwards.
The "Super Commando" was marketed by Plymouth. It was a high output 440 C.I.
Chrysler transmission fluids: 7176, ATF+3, ATF+4

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
No reason to pull the intake really , pull the valve cover & take a look if it is a roller cam there will be a metal spider holding the lifters in place which is visable through the heads , or you can see the links for the roller liters if it is aftermarket rollers , if it is flat tappet neither of those will be there & you could pull a lifter with a strong telescoping magnet

dolphin3111

Reaction score
Regarding the use ZDDP in engine with flat tappets.

The proper level of ZDDP for street is 800 to 1200 parts per million. Check the oil specs. Many racing oils have 2500+ ppm. That could cause corrosion problems in a street engine with longer oil change intervals (3000 to 5000 miles).

Generally synthetic oils are ok on the lower end of the ZDDP requirement range. For instance Mobil 1 has 800 to 900 ppm.

Back