• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Only Starts By jumping Starter Relay

nakabrd

Reaction score
I have a 70 Challenger 383 that I'm restoring. It has a starting problem. I turn the key and there's nothing. But if i leave the key on and jump the starter relay it starts. Can someone please explain what I need to do. Thank you.

rklein71

Reaction score
Could be several things. 1) ungrounded relay 2) bad relay 3) bad ignition switch. 4) neutral/clutch safety switch issue. I would check for power to the relay when turning the ignition switch to start first.

nakabrd

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It's a 4 speed. I installed a new relay and it still does it. The car turns off with the key. I ran a ground wire from the relay (plug in at the lower front of relay) and I'll make sure the relay itself is grounded. I will check the things you suggest. Thanks again.

rklein71

Reaction score
My brand new relay and it failed after a few weeks, bought another one, no problems so far. Just because it is new, doesn't mean that it works. The relay body does not need to be grounded if you have the ground wire as you stated above.

Reaction score
Ok it's a 4 Spd. Make sure you check the clutch safety start switch. The clutch safety switch grounds the relay internally. Ground the lower small blade terminal on the starter relay mounted on the fender. Just make up a jumper wire and ground it right to the battery, and it should then crank with the key. Make sure it's in neutral before cranking! this will tell you if the clutch safety switch is the problem

Last edited:

rklein71

Reaction score
Manual car being in neutral to start is not necessary, safety switch closes when clutch pushed in to allow a ground path for the relay.

fasjac

Reaction score
I ran into a very similar situation when restoring the dash and interior. I pretty sure my floor dimmer switch was unplugged. As I still have that circuit highlighted in the EWD. I did not have carpet in the car yet, and everything else was in order. I knew it was unplugged, just in a hurry to hear it bust off. Plugged in the dimmer and all good. Just a thought.

chargerdon

Reaction score
I have a 70 Challenger 383 that I'm restoring. It has a starting problem. I turn the key and there's nothing. But if i leave the key on and jump the starter relay it starts. Can someone please explain what I need to do. Thank you.

First, im assuming that when you say "there's nothing" that you mean there is no cranking.

There are two wires at the bottom of the starter relay..
One is ground that comes from the transmission to insure that it is either Neutral or Park. No Ground and the relay will not activate. Verify that you have ground !! That is number one.

Two, The other wire comes from the key switch when key is turned to start. So, with someone turning the key to start, verify that that wire has 12 volt power. If both power and ground is there, then the relay is bad. If missing either check which is missing and find out why. Examples If no 12v then could be...bad starter switch, or bad connection at bulkhead connector, or at the connector right at the steering wheel. If no ground, then then it could be the neutral safety switch at the transmission. Or severed wire, etc.

Dazmom

Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 1968 F-body. It’s because the starter solenoid was being exposed to the heat from the exhaust manifold. The asbestos starter shield was long gone.

Last edited:

Ernies

Reaction score
Nice 71 RT Charger i have 71 super bee 4spd car had the same problem an put hidden start push button in i got from Napa auto parts works great an now has a anti theft from morons steeling the car just a thought for a good driver car

1125161702.jpg

nakabrd

Reaction score
Thanks Ernies. That's a Mr Norms 440 6 pack Charger.

nakabrd

Reaction score
Chargerdon- I think the ground wire to the lower starter relay connection might have been loose. I made sure connections were good and haven't had the problem since. I ran a ground wire from that connection to ground rather than to the transmission. Hopefully that was it. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Ernies

Reaction score
I did that too with the ground sometimes it works for me then it didnt i gave up think its in my colum switch ?

0313201357.jpg

Back