• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

opinions on a 440 tunnel ram set up?

volcanocar

Reaction score
its a 440
the engine is going to be a 10:1 comp
509 cam
ported 452 heads (stock valves)
93 pump gas
max rpm 6200
not sure on converter stall yet

but i want to get opinions from any one who has ran a tunnel ram, any feedback good or bad is appreciated.
as a disclaimer i do realize that is an expensive set up when considering how cheap a single carb/intake setup is.
i have done research with mixed reviews, a lot of magazines have tested them and shown them to still out power most
modern intakes from start to finish. BUT i have read other people talk about how much of a pain they are, or that they
are only high rpm performers, or they dont drive well on the street.

i am mostly drawn to it for the looks but i do want my car to perform as well as possible, so if there isnt what i would consider an acceptible middle ground then i would have no problem choosing a single carb set up.

volcanocar

Reaction score
thats a shame, the weiand tunnel ram looks like a decent design with a common plenum feeding individual runners. seems the like the distibution should be awesome... i know runner length and width play a big deciding factor, that should make a difference in its rpm range regardless of intake design shoulding it?

volcanocar

Reaction score
and then further more the carb size would play a factor as well wouldnt it?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I wonder how one would respond to throttle bodies and fuel rails?

volcanocar

Reaction score
on one of the other forums there was a guy talking about trying to do that, dont know how much gain there would be though. according to everything ive read the top plenum portion that gets fed by the two carbs has the best fuel distribution out of any of any other carb style intake. the only benefit to efi that i can think would be that the fuel would be metered a little more accurately.

moparleo

Reaction score
You keep missing the part about high rpm's required. At low rpm's the fuel would not stay atomized and would puddle, you need velocity. Don't you wonder why you don't see anyone using tunnel rams any more ? Bottom line is do what you want, don't ask for someone else's opinion to justify what you want to hear. You can always sell the parts to someone else.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Due to fuel control it may not puddle. I know it worked on the long cross ram set up from a Chrysler 300 F. By worked, I mean it made the car far more driveable without puddling etc.

Last edited:

volcanocar

Reaction score
wow lol, im not ungrateful for the input and yes i did ask for your opinion but that doesnt mean i take it at face value. all i asked for was clarification/justification for that line of reasoning. i have seen countless opinions one way or the other but i wanted to ask so could get the specific form of a question answered that was thinking.
i can search on the internet all day but other people wont ask the same question that i want an answer to. i want to know why also?

volcanocar

Reaction score
Due to fuel control it may not puddle. I know it worked on the long cross ram set up from a Chrysler 300 F. By worked, I mean it made the car far more driveable without puddling etc.

thats what im saying, there are instances where they had no issue. it would seem that as long as the carbs weren't over sized and you got the A/F mixture right it looks like it should run pretty decent... granted that was a lot of variable i just rambled off lol

moparleo

Reaction score
Talk to an engine builder or better yet contact the manifold manufacturers tech department. No opinions there. Just factual info. Every thing in life is a compromise. You just have to decide what the most important thing that you are trying to accomplish and what is reality or looks. Want to go fast ? Rebuild your 440 stock and put a low gear set in the rear and then go from there.

chrisperanio

Reaction score
I love mine track or street. Loads up a bit when sitting so on the street i lean her out a hair and turn up the idle a tad and pow no issue...but my set up is a bit different then yours I'm running .610 lift cam, 5000 nitro stall, ported and polished everything with the biggest valves i could fit oh and 15.5:1 compression with 110 octane fuel.

20160502_195727-2.jpg

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
I knew a few guys that ran them on the street, one of them had that 509 camshaft. Everyone I knew ran quicker with the tunnel ram with no ill effects on streetability other than needing a hood scoop to clear them. However it really depends on what the individual finds acceptable I suppose. Naturally the intake/convertor/camshaft all have to be matched or you'll have problems no matter how many carb's you're using.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I have tuned & run a couple , we actually had a bet going on the best dyno #s using a high rise single & a tunnel ram & the the tunnel ram won out , other than the lack of heat issue my experience after getting the engine warmed up they work awesome street or track ,I would go for it as long as it is only warm weather driven .
Multi port EFI on a tunnel ram would be simply awesome EFI just works so much better huge race cams will idle like a stock engine as the right amount of atomized fuel is delivered right behind the intake valve so every cylinder fires every time up , Vacuum is no issue , you can use 1200+ cfm T bodies on basic 440s with massive large port intakes bst of everythng but he entry cost is up there around $5 k

Mikael L.

Reaction score
I am thinking the same, a tunnel ram on my 440. Here's some specs:

Mopar performance cast Frank 5249207
BME aluminum rodd 426
Venolia Pistons 535
Brodix B1 BS heads, 65cc.
Comp cams 704 lift, 1,6 rull vippor.
Holley 1050 Dominator APD
Indy intake.
Indy maxxolje pumplock.
Indy valleypan
Melling oil pump
Meziere water pump
ATI superdamper
7 liters oil plan with fast pickup.
0.040 MLS head gasket, Could easily change to 0,066 för ca 11-11,5 i komp
HEI fördelare
Comp cams pushrods
Comp cams roller rockers
ARP bolts everywhere.
NGK racestift
B1 aluventilkåpor

No concrete.
Everything balanced within 1gram
Kompar ca 13 och ska ge ca 650-700 hk.
Could spray with 200-300 hp NOS.

Rob C

Reaction score
its a 440
the engine is going to be a 10:1 comp
509 cam
ported 452 heads (stock valves)
93 pump gas
max rpm 6200
not sure on converter stall yet

but i want to get opinions from any one who has ran a tunnel ram, any feedback good or bad is appreciated.
as a disclaimer i do realize that is an expensive set up when considering how cheap a single carb/intake setup is.
i have done research with mixed reviews, a lot of magazines have tested them and shown them to still out power most
modern intakes from start to finish. BUT i have read other people talk about how much of a pain they are, or that they
are only high rpm performers, or they dont drive well on the street.

i am mostly drawn to it for the looks but i do want my car to perform as well as possible, so if there isnt what i would consider an acceptible middle ground then i would have no problem choosing a single carb set up.
Tunnel Ram?!?!

Use the Weiand!

You really don’t have enough under it though.
Just sayin....
But you can make it work. They do look super cool don’t they?!?!

Rob C

Reaction score
You keep missing the part about high rpm's required. At low rpm's the fuel would not stay atomized and would puddle, you need velocity. Don't you wonder why you don't see anyone using tunnel rams any more ? Bottom line is do what you want, don't ask for someone else's opinion to justify what you want to hear. You can always sell the parts to someone else.
Incorrect again.

Back