• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

orange or chrome ecu box?

shadango

Reaction score
I have a 74 318 in my 72 Barracuda.....need to get the ecu box.....I am not sure how the motor is built.....but I was told it was rebuilt to factory specs 5 years ago.

Should I get the orange or chrome box, as I see the chrome has "a hotter spark".......its only a $20 difference but if it is wasted $$$ why spend it....
Thanks guys.

burntorange70

Reaction score
The orange box should be enough for your motor. If your going to be reving past 5000 rpm very much then I would go with the Chrome box.

shadango

Reaction score
Well, I stopped at NAPA after work and was surprised to see that they wanted $51 for a stock ecu box! They do carry acheaper one for $38 I think it was.....

I can get the chrome for $58 and the orange for $38 online!

So not a whole lot of difference between a stock one and the orange one....

burntorange70

Reaction score
I think you should get the Orange or Chrome box. That way if you do some mods to the motor you are covered and don't have to buy another ecu down the road. But thats just me.

shadango

Reaction score
Thats kind of where I am leaning......

Leaning towards the chrome based on some things some have said about the quality of the orange.....plus, "more is better" LOL.....

But is it really?

Also, can I use the stock ballast? Mine is measuring 1.0 ohms....I read somewhere that for teh chrome box it needs to be like .25

burntorange70

Reaction score
I don't know that I have ever seen a .25 ohms Ballast.

I have seen 1.0 and 1.25 ohms.

I will have to look in a few books when I get home and see what I can find out for you.

shadango

Reaction score
I'd appreciate that.....

I suppose running a 1.0 wont HURT anything......and since my current ballast is showing 1.0, no point replacing it I suppose?

burntorange70

Reaction score
I looked but could find nothing. Mabby some one who is running a chrome box will chime in and let you know what they are running.

shadango

Reaction score
Maybe I would just be better off getting the stock cheapie at Autozone for $24 to get the car running....then I can always upgrade later and keep it as a spare...LOL

shadango

Reaction score
For now I just went with an Autozone standard box......once I get the car actually running i will swap in a chrome I think......figured or now the stock will do.

71Challenger318

Reaction score
I have the Mopar Electronic Ignition kit on my Challenger. It came with the Orange box. The guy doing the 'restoration' says I should use an OEM ECU he found in his shed. Its sorta neat, black and says "Chrysler Electronic Ignition" on it. Any reason that would be a problem to use?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Depends on the condition of the one in the shed either will perform approx the same

71Challenger318

Reaction score
It looks to be in great shape. As long as it works fine I guess I am good then? It has an extra terminal on it that the orange box does not have. Its not just an empty terminal it has a wire going to it on the harness. I don't know what it is.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
it si a 5 pin box so it would need the dual ballast resistor
the newer boxes all put that resister internally so 4 pin

71Challenger318

Reaction score
The kit only came with a single resistor. I suppose I need to use the orange box then?

Rob C

Reaction score
Use the resistor that came in the kit with what ever box came in the kit.
Stop complicating things.

71Challenger318

Reaction score
Use the resistor that came in the kit with what ever box came in the kit.
Stop complicating things.

Haha, complicating things is relative. :rolleyes: If I actually wanted the OEM look I would think this conversation would be relevant. I was fine with using the orange box. This other guy sorta has his own ideas and keeps telling me what I should and should not do. Hes an old timer you see and he knows all there is to know. I'm not, so I need to make sure I am not telling him wrong when I say "the black box won't work, we need to use the orange one." If I tell him it won't work...I just want to be right about that. I don't need anyone telling me "not to complicate things just do as your told" I want to know WHY and what would keep it from working. Someone tells me it needs a dual resistor to work...well why? What happens if you don't? Could you ad it to make it work? Forums are about sharing knowledge. ;)

Back