• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Paint color question

ronscuda

Reaction score
I have a 70 cuda that rolled off the line as a Lemon Twist yellow with black vinyl top, 383 4barrel, 3speed car. So my question which probably can not be answered is, was this color a common color ordered from the factory, or is this a rare color that would be worth putting back on?? My car to the best of my knowledge is mostly original . I do not have a numbers matching engine but I do have the numbers matching trans and year correct 440-6pack. I know most people will say if I am selling it go original and if not paint it how I want!!! But I am a true fan of era correct high impact colors on mopars and while I currently plan on going Sassy Grass( I know it's a 71 color) I don't hate the yellow it would have came as.... I am looking for opinions so please share yours

Thanks,
Ron

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Depends what you want to do with the car , selling it it would be best original
keeping it you can do what you want , as you said . The engine is not original anyway if you do a 440+6 .
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Sassy Grass was available in 70 just less used than the lighter Sublime .
Yellow was not a rare color , the yellow I like best is the Curious yellow in 71 .

ronscuda

Reaction score
From a lot of things I have read I believe Sassy Grass Green wasn't available for first production 70 cudas. It wasn't until April of 70 that color was available. I have seen this information on various sources but I couldn't say for definite that the information is correct. So you are right,but only available for a short time in 70???

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Do you have the fender tag for this car? Chrysler didn't keep records on how many cars were painted each color. The best you can come up with is an average number.
Where in MI are you?

VeteranCosmicRocker

Reaction score
If I read this correctly, the color issue to me is secondary. Is this a 383 4-bbl THREE-speed ? I'm not sure if I ever seen one. And you're going to make this into a 440-6bbl THREE-speed ? Interesting. If originality is not an issue, color is purely subjective.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
A friend had a 70 Chall coded for Sassy but I am not sure what the build date was , it could be a later start date like Panther pink was .

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Sassy Grass Green and Panther Pink were both mid year options introduced at the same time. I believe they were considered Spring options. The 3 speed was standard with the 383 4 bbl. 4 speed and automatic were options. The 3 speed with a 383 4 bbl. came with a 323 8.75 gear from the factory. On resale the Sassy Grass Green seems to be harder to sell than the Yellow.

ronscuda

Reaction score
This car was a Factory 383 4 barrel with a three speed. It is now a 440-6 with a three speed??? I don't believe that was uncommon. However I am not sure about the 440-6 three speed

ronscuda

Reaction score
Yup almost neighbors. Thanks, for the nice car statement but that hood I have on there I just can't take any more. I bought it 8 years ago and have been slowly improving it and now it's time to put on a REAL hood and get some paint on it. You have a great looking car always loved the convertible.

Back