• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Painting underneath 1970 challenger

Lambeth Dave

Reaction score
Hi folks the bottom of the floors on a challenger was it body colour or black ?? I have a 68 Satellite the underneath is black sound attenuation .. thanks guys..

jt4406

Reaction score
Neither actually, car was dipped in grey primer up to about the door handles. All the paint the underside received was overspray from painting the sides, rockers, etc. Some did receive optional undercoating, probably the black stuff you are seeing under your Satellite. Some restorers go to great lengths to "recreate" the primer drips and body colored overspray. To each his own. jess

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Neither actually, car was dipped in grey primer up to about the door handles. All the paint the underside received was overspray from painting the sides, rockers, etc. Some did receive optional undercoating, probably the black stuff you are seeing under your Satellite. Some restorers go to great lengths to "recreate" the primer drips and body colored overspray. To each his own. jess
Correct me if my cloudy mind is thinking wrong. there are some cars that got a small area black out treatment on the rocker panel area.I have to look for it to say for sure.

moparroy

Reaction score
jt's got it - grey primer with color overspray
Not sure about rocker - but there is sound deadener / undercoat in the wheel wells
Google "Come Back Cuda" - they show some detail on this in their refinish articles

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I did mine with grey epoxy primer & oversprayed the purple to look like factory but obviously the epoxy primer will hold up better .

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Found it in the cob webs of my mind.I'm sure there are other ones.
Black_Out_Sill_Pillar.png
I don't know if this is what you seeing?
Black_Out_Sill_Lower_Cuda.png

Last edited: