• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Passon?

Oystercopy

Reaction score
I'd like to know how many of you have used Passon for their A-833 replacement 5-speed tranny? I have a standard 4-speed now, but its tired (the original one to the Challenger) so looking at my options. I know I need the 5th gear because this
thing really winds out at top speeds, and I really can't get about about 80mph before giving up. Of course, there are likely other vibration issues too, but have not had time to address those yet, probably harmonic balancer/damper will be replaced
at some point.
Thanks in advance!
OC

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
People have been on a waiting list for 10 years! A few get them occasionally and some also come to the market.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
They are a great solution , well designed , I wish he would ramp up production as there would be a large demand as one of the simplest swaps to 5 speed out there .

Ralph

Reaction score
I have installed a Tremec TKO 5 speed and in my 73 RR & was alot of work. Installed the Passon 5 speed in my challenger which had a very long lead time..
Two alternates
Passon 3 speed hemi overdrive
Tremec TKX which has a top rounded case which may not need cutting - sure others will chime in.

moparlee

Reaction score
I have installed a Tremec TKO 5 speed and in my 73 RR & was alot of work. Installed the Passon 5 speed in my challenger which had a very long lead time..
Two alternates
Passon 3 speed hemi overdrive
Tremec TKX which has a top rounded case which may not need cutting - sure others will chime in.
How do you like the Passon 5 spd?

Ralph

Reaction score
The install was simple, needed to change the 23 spline clutch disc to 18 spline. Nice to have 5th gear with 3.91 gears. Shifts good and a bit noisy, called Jamie and he said it would quiet up after 500 mile break in. Wondering if it would be noisy like a rock crusher trany in the long run. Had an engine problem so pulled it for a rebuild so only have about 150 miles on the trany.
Expect to put alot of miles this summer since working from home.
Happy to have it in the car with no modifications, speedometer cable is on the passenger side and Passon provides a longer cable for that.
Best

tonysrt

Reaction score
As usual just a tease. The TKX was supposed to be here last year and then changed to March this year but who knows. Will anybody be able to tell us what's involved to install it in A body, B body or E body. I have been running a Tremic for almost 20 years. Don't race though so no power shifts.

fasjac

Reaction score
I as some others have the Tremec TKO 600. Running a BB stroker 500 hp maybe a little more. I’ve only had one problem with the shifter paw bushing. Replacement was cheap and easy. I personally haven’t had any other problems. It performs well on the street, and I’ve shifted well through 3rd at 6000 rpm. The Passon is more of what I wanted but, the wait list wasn’t an option for me. And I’ve heard of all the stressful issues with both. So far so good with my Tremec. I know you ask about who has used Passon. Just wanted to throw this out. Good luck with the tranny and 5th is nice when you need it.

1972CudaV21

Reaction score

fastmark

Reaction score
Someone invested some money in the 855 5 speed and they get most of the transmissions now. Passom does not build or design it. He had lots to do with the testing and development but it just got bogged down in the making. It takes lots of coin to deal with a new development. Passom gets a few and provides them to people on his lists. The new guys sells to anyone when he gets one built. They sell pretty quickly. I’ve build several of the Passom 4 speeds with OD. They work fine, just noisy like a regular hemi 4speed.

70chall440

Reaction score
Someone invested some money in the 855 5 speed and they get most of the transmissions now. Passom does not build or design it. He had lots to do with the testing and development but it just got bogged down in the making. It takes lots of coin to deal with a new development. Passom gets a few and provides them to people on his lists. The new guys sells to anyone when he gets one built. They sell pretty quickly. I’ve build several of the Passom 4 speeds with OD. They work fine, just noisy like a regular hemi 4speed.

Not sure exactly what you are saying here; you seem to be saying that Passion did not design the A855, does not make it and that someone else is selling them (as well as providing "a few" to Passion).

A quick internet search does not reveal any other source for the transmission other than Passion so I am not sure your statement is correct.

I am pretty sure Jamie Passion designed the transmission himself although there is no doubt that others were involved.

I have no doubt that the actual manufacturing of components is out sourced to other shops (common practice) and perhaps even the assembly is out sourced but I do not have any direct knowledge one way or another, but from what I have read online on various forums it would indicate that at least some of the assembly is done at Passion.

Steve340

Reaction score
It is hard to see how a small business would have the financial clout to get sales of a Mopar only transmission off the ground. Jamie Passon has done it but it is easy to understand why there are manufacturing problems.

Tremec etc. can supply OEM fitted transmissions and company's can adapt them to fit older vehicles.
My opinion for what it is worth - I would go to Silver Sport or one of those companies.
Much more likely to get a trans that is quiet and shifts great. The new TKX looks like the one to get.
Or a Gear Vendors if you only want overdrive?
For a rebuild of an A833 from what I have heard I would use Jamie Passon.
Brewers are also good to deal with for a stock rebuild.

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
Passon had good intentions. But, with only handfuls sold over a 10-year period, it’s tough to call it a success story.

70chall440

Reaction score
I completely agree, I think we all believe it was a good idea but it is a long way from idea to reality. IMO Jamie made the fatal error of announcing the product before it was ready for prime time (which it seems it still isn't to a degree).

The one "upside" of this I believe is that it did cause some of the other companies to explore new products such as the TKX.

fastmark

Reaction score
Check out the long post on Moparts in the new products section involving the Passom 855. The investor is John Huff/Yellowstone garage 307-262-0125. Not sure where it is first revealed in the thread but I got the name and number on about page 153 so you won’t have to read ten years worth of threads. My facts are correct just not well known.

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
You’ll also want to read a long post over at FBBO as well. It documents his year-long struggle with a Passon A-855 that kept slipping out of 4th gear. Most importantly, it highlights the treatment he received from the 3 or 4 individuals that are involved with the Passon A-855 . Make your own judgement about it.

i_taz

Reaction score
The tranny business isn't his day job... Stopped at the shop on a Saturday morning
and his crew of 5-6 guys were just setting up for the day. There was a pallet with
maybe a dozen finished and tagged units ready to be shipped out so it's not big time.

1972CudaV21

Reaction score
Multiple people are involved with it, at different locations. One person deals with the warranties, another is building them and one is testing them at a separate location I believe. Over 10 years, they claim to have over 300 in service. So, I assume it’s not a moneymaker. Though, I wish them lots of success👍

i_taz

Reaction score
I see that now, was reading those FBBO post's... Looks like the parties over...
Mopar hopes dashed again but can't find anything on if the M25 faired any better ?

Back